Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new 2006 Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDI Quattro/ Tip.

In Norway we have to pay $ 188.300 for a car like this, and then navigation is not included! Navigation would have costed $ 3.900 extra. I should have ordered navigation when I ordered the car, but at that time I felt that it was to expensive.

Is it possible to install OEM navigation in my car? Or, is it possible to install another navigation system to work together with the MMI system?

Do anyone have any experience with installing navigation after the car has been delivered?

Thanks! :auto:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am at present installing the Navigation and TV for my 2004 3.2 A6. I have ordered all the parts and awaiting delivery. All in about 2100 Euros

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ketilh,

I'd be interested to hear how you get on upgrading... I would like to do the same... I am about to take delivery of my new A6 and I also could not bring myself to spend SO much money on sat nav...

I would also be interested in upgrading the MMI Plus system in the car to the TV and maybe DAB too... the only concern is upgrading the MMI is one thing (apparently it's like plugging in PCI cards to your PC.. easy! however for sat nav you will need to mount a reasonable GPS arial somewhere....

Check out KUFATEC...

http://shop.kufatec.de/index.php/cPath/2_111

THese guys seem to know their stuff.

Good luck

All the best

BSK

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Matt,
where did you order the nav + TV? At a Audi dealer?

The quote from the Audi dealer here in Norway was EUR 4500 for Navigation (installed).

Ketil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Ketil,

Well... any luck with Kufatec?

Now that I have my new A6 I do want to investigate getting the SatNav installed... but don't regret not spending £1700!

All the best

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear BSK,
I have contacted Kufatec with some simple questions, but not get any answer. It would have been nice to get answers before I order. I will probably take a rip to germany in the eginning of next year, so a solution could be to visit Kufatec.

The questions I had was;
- do I have to replace my antenna?
- is the navigation DVD included?
- do I need a code to get it work properly, do Kufatec send me this code?
- is it possible to get the instructions in english

I'm not sure I take the risk of ordering before I know that it will OK to get installed.

If you order before me, and the system work properly, please send me a e-mail; [email protected]

Kind regards,
Ketil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems its not only me who couldn't bring themselves to spend an additional 1500+ on Sat NAV, particularily as I've already got the high res MMI screen etc etc.

Had a look at the kafatec site, the DVD nav kit looks the business, would love to know if any of you guys actually purchase this and get it working.

I've got the phone installed which inlcudes the external antenna, here's hoping it includes the GPS antenna.

Anyone translated the page to english, my German is not so good!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Ketil and Dhi,

THanks for the Audiworld link Dhi - though it does look pretty complex... not sure I trust myself with fibre optic cabling!

Ketil, I'm sorry to hear you have not heard anything from Kufatec yet... your German is probably far better than mine (or Dhi's by the sound of it!). I think your questions were fine... have you had a look at the panel in the rear of your boot yet to see where it would go? There is a cradle containing the amplifier and clearly a space for the DVD ROM of the Sat Nav unit... then just aboe is a "hub" where it would supposedly plug in... I had thought it could be fairly straightforward until I read the audiworld article!

Good luck and keep us posted if you hear anything else!

BSK

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm considering the Kufatc kit as well. I've sent them some questions, and they have given answers to all of them. Seems like a good deal.
Take in to consideration that this is likely to be used equipment, and not the latest revision of the HW, but they states that it is fully compatible with the 2006 model.

I've gotten the original Audi installation instructions, and it seems like a fairly simple job to get it flying. You have to detach the end-trim of the roof lining and the trim of the C-pillar to fix the antenna. This goes for the Limo. On the estate I'm pretty sure (you can ask your dealer to look up the exact config for your car) you have to replace the sharkfinn GSM antenna with a GSM/GPS duplex. At last you have to detach the tailgate trim to get the wiring to the fuse box. If you don't have access to a VAG-COM or similar device, you have to go to the Audi-shop and get it coded.

Ketilh, I'm very eager to get a report on the progress in your project !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why is it used equipment? Seems a little strange, would have thought that not many people would install it and then take it out again?

I've had an email conversation from a guy who has done this, he said he did not have to code the MMI, it just worked.

Would be very interested in knowing how you get on Ketilh, I'm going to order one when I get some cash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Received my Kufatec kit today. Looking forward to install it. The instructions was in german with no illustrations, but fortunately I have the original Audi fitting instructions, so I think I will make it.
Why it is used equipment? Maybe because that is what they sell? But, I can confirm that used it is. According to the manual, you have to code the MMI with information of the Navi to make it work properly. Thats what I know so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guy in Ireland who has installed the kit said he just missed the mmi programming bit out and all was OK.

Good luck with the install.

Let us know

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will receive the DVD Navigation this week. It have taken a looong time to receive the equipment from KUFATEC. Mostly because they had not received my order, and after that, could not see that they had received the money they want in advance. First after sending a copy of the transaction from my bank to the salesmanager things happening.

Now I have been contacted by the freighter, so I now the package had comed to Norway.

I see in the invoice I have received that someone have written "Avant", probably this because there is different cabels for sedan and avant. Just to be aware of when someone of you order.

Look forward to get the Navigation installed. I will probably use a non-Audi garage to help me with the installation.

If anyone need the original Audi installation description in german/ english, contact me on e-mail: [email protected]

Ketil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I installes the D-Navi in my 2001 A6 Avant - looks and works great! It bought it on e-bay for $750 plus $200 for the TMC controller (will allow display navi info in instrument cluster), adapter cable and antenna. I also bought the VGA Com software to do all the programming (and the benefit of resetting check engine etc).

This is by far the BEST investment I did so far! Great system, very fast re-calculation of routes etc.

:460:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have finally received the DVD navigation. Looks OK (the DVD player is used but seems ok, it is produced 30.05.05). The package did not include fitting instructions, and I can not see that the DVD Disc is included (if not inserted into he DVD player). The DVD disc costs NOK 6.000,- , approx. € 800 at a AUDI-dealer!

Asked KUFATEC wheter they can get me the DVD Disc. Awaiting answer. Do anyone know where to buy a DVD Disk for Western Europe cheaper then the AUDI dealer is selling it for?

The shark antenna was in black color. I did not ask for an anenna in the same color as my car (oyster grey). May be I can use my exisiting antenna??

Ketil

PS!
The local AUDI-dealer told me today: They find the prices of original DVD Navigation to Audi A6 far to expensive. They have to invest in expensive equipment to fit the DVD navigation, even it may not be necessary. Even the dealers find this horrible. The dealer was very helpfull and wanted to help me with some tips. I should contact him before we start to fit the naviagation. He told me that if I did not do it right, it may be very expensive. There is much electronic in this cars that may be influenced/ destroyed.

Positive experience with a service minded dealer!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts