Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think im gonna pick up an A4, but i wanted to hear some feedback on the cars. i heard from one source that the transmissions are crap and audi wouldnt do it under warranty... is this an isolated incident?

also i found what im looking for in houston- a blue 98 1.8T quattro with manual trans.. then i found out that thru 01, they only had 150hp (only 10 more than my N/A eclipse). how easily tuned are these cars? i went after the 1.8 cuz i heard they take to mods better than the n/a v6. or should i just hold out for an 02-03? im not looking to make it super-fast, i just want a reliable, good handling car that can get out of the way of traffic.. lol i couldnt find any like i want (blue 1.8T quattro manual) other than the 98 within 1000 miles though..

thanks for the feedback! :liebe011:

·
Registered
195 Posts
The 1.8T motor is easily chipped to about 200 hp using a free flow exhaust. Makes the car a lot spunkier than stock. The V6 later years had 180hp stock. So the lighter 1.8 with more horsepower can get going if revved up.

My Avant is stock 150hp and although not the fastest in a drag race, will definitely hold its own in the corners and even better if it's wet.

My vote would be go for the 1.8 you like and mod it. Even a turbo upgrade is only about $1700 and can get you up to about 235hp, and since the car is lighter than an S4 will be as fast (as stock S4).

VB

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
the 1.8t engines are full of potentila some people are pushing 400hp to tghe crank
and only the CVT auto trannies are bad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts