Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I picked up a pair of new headlights for my 96, as well as a few other parts.

Heres the lights:

Very simple OEM style lights... which I will be doing a HID conversion with. I know its no big deal for an Audi to have HID, but I just wanted to share MY enthusiasm as this will be my first real mod to my car.
Going to put my lighting knowledge to good use and make it safer for me to drive at night (which I do alot of)!

Will post more pictures of my progress as well as a final result, probably a week from now, as Im still waiting for all the parts... projectors, ballasts, etc.

Also hoping this convinces others to do the same to their cars. =)

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey i just put those exact lights on ym a4, they look awesome tell me how your gonna go about making them hid, what parts, etc. i want to do the same thing but am not sure whats needed and whats gonna work

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the headlights have a ballast allocation in the bulb access covers, the Hella gen 3 ballasts fit this spot. I believe a small plate might have to be made that actually holds the ballasts in place.

I actually have yet to get the headlights in hand, so I cannot say what projectors are in them. If they are the projectors i'm thinking of, there is a HID version of them that will fit directly into place. If you can take a picture of the rear of the projector, through the access cover, I can make a better list for you. Otherwise, my headlights come on tuesday and I can say then.
The projectors that come in the headlights would probably do a decent job with a HID "kit", but kits are generally lower quality than OEM parts and dont last very long. I also dont normally advise the use of "kits" as they are illegal, but in a good projector light, they can do pretty good and not blind anyone.

Let me know if you take some pictures, you can email them to me, just add @aol.com to my user name.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Very nice post up pic's when your done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ok there are hid kits all over ebay but i dont understand if my oem wiring is gonna just plug into the the kits'. It says it will but it is ebay, so i was wondering if anyon ha ever tried this before?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you want to add a HID Kit to your OEM headlights? Are they the 96-early98 style, or late 98-01 style projector lights? If they're the early lights, dont do it, as you'll have a mess of light all over the place and you'll blind other drivers. I dont normally recomend HID Kits because of them being illegal short lifespan (lower quality than OEM parts) but it can be done in the later projector headlights with good results.

Most HID kits have to be hardwired, or connected to a relay harness that powers the ballasts directly from the battery. Certain ones do come with the proper connectors and nice rubber seals for the wires where they enter the headlight covers. By "proper connectors" I mean a connector that mates with the halogen bulb connector inside or at the headlight.

If you really want true HID performance, go the route im going.. put true HID projectors into some headlights and use all OEM parts. If you're just after the color of HID, get some good halogen bulbs and save the money. HID kits really tend to not last long as they're normally made by aftermarket companies that really dont put the quality that OEM parts have into them.

I am willing to put together other true HID headlights for other people for a reasonable price. However, i'd rather build my lights first, get pictures and show the results before I get into talking about that.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
i hear many people are going w/ cqlighting and that they are very inexpesive and have a great out come. just my 2 cents!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey jared the lights i have are the exact same ones you show in the picture(two piece) Can you send me a link to the hid kit your going to use?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Im not using a kit, using all OEM parts. HID kits suck, they dont last and most are 6000K and up bulbs, no good for light output. Im even going as far as to remove the good projectors in the headlights and replace them with really good true HID units. This upgrade is for looks AND function!

Heres the projectors i'll be using, from a Lexus RX330, and the D4S bulbs... yes, D4S... Not D2S. D4S is a new bulb that uses no mercury, has a slightly higher color temperature (4800K versus 4300K for D2S) and 600 more lumens per bulb.

The rest of my parts will be here tomorrow, i'll post more pictures then.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
if you dont mind me asking,how much did all of that cost you in the end? b/c i'm looking to upgrade to H.I.D's very soon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Umm... lets see... the headlights were right around $200, bulbs were $90, projectors $90 and ballasts $185. These are all prices with shipping.

UPS just got here, so I have work to do, haha!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
haha ok thanx,cant wait to see the results!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the RX 330 projectors I pictured before wont end up working in these headlights, just requires too many small modifications that I dont want to make. So this will take a little longer to complete... for now I have a pair of headlights and ballasts waiting to be used.

I could have just done this the simple way and used Valeo projectors, the ones that are found in the 99-04 A4s with HID, as they would be a direct fit to the housings. However, I want the better light output that other projectors offer. I just purchased a pair of Acura TSX projectors, which are some of the best available. We'll see how these work when they come!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
No, the 99-01 headlights use the Valeo slim ballasts which mount on the bottom of the lights.

These lights work with the Hella gen 3 ballasts, specifically the older A6 ballasts. As long as the seals on the bulb wires have not been removed, they are a direct fit. Here are some pictures that will show what im talking about... the first pic is the ballasts, second one is the rear cover for the lights, third shows how the seal fits the cover perfectly, and the fourth shows the ballast in its place. The rectangular plate on the wire has clips on it and a rubber seal, this locks into the opening and creates a water tight seal. The fairly large opening is to allow the bulb connector to pass through, as it is not removeable from the wire.
The lights come out of the box with a "blank" cover in this opening, if HID is not used.

Note that the lights do not come with a bracket to hold the ballast in the rear cover, however it can easily be fabricated out of a piece of flat steel or aluminum.

On the rear of the headlight housing, just below the bulb access opening, there is another rectangular opening. This is for the ballast power wire. The power wires from the A6 are again, a direct fit, with the wire seal already in place. These are a fairly rare find, so my suggestion is to just drill a hole in the "blank" cover, run the power wire through and seal it with some silicone or a rubber grommet.

Still waiting on my TSX projectors... hopefully they show up today. Im beyond anxious! I hate halogen headlights, haha!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha, yea I guess it can be a little confusing. If you have a 96- early 99 A4 with the 2 piece headlights, you want the headlights I pictured in my first post. They are aftermarket headlights but very good quality, also a direct fit to the early A4's.

The part where it gets even more confusing is here... you want ballasts from an A6, as long as they have the seals on the bulb cables, like I pictued above. For projectors, you want the 99-05 A4 Valeo D2S projectors.

If you like, I can build a pair for you (or anyone else) or at least aquire all the proper parts. I wouldnt charge much for the assembly, as its very easy, say around $30.

Total price for a pair of assembled NEW headlights (Housings and bulbs would be new, projectors and ballasts are used) would be $600 plus shipping. The headlights would be complete and ready to fit any 96-early 99 A4, plug right in and include matching corner lenses.

Not trying to make money here, just help anyone out that wants to go HID the right way.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
i was just gonna ask you earlier,lol when the time comes and i have money i'll let you no!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright. $600 is my best estimate right now, and would include all shipping for the items to me, but not shipping from me to you (around $30). The parts needed are always available, so whenever you can do it.

I didnt get the projectors today... so I havent completed anything yet... which sucks, haha. Im REALLY hoping they come tomorrow, or else it will be at least Monday before I see them... ick.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts