Audi Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In july I bought a 1999 A3 1.6 Sport from a dealer, overwelmed by excitment I missed a few things when checking over the car when viewing.

1. The glove compartment and ashtray were glued shut, sorted the ashtray out no problem but the glovebox is still glued and there could be anything in there!

2. The top part of the MOT was cut off and whn I got a replacement it had 134k miles on it when the dash says 82k! Dunno which is right!

3. The service history looks like its been tampered with and altered!:mad:

But apart from these issues the car is fine and im happy with it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup, it is illegal. Its been clocked. Check that the VIN on the service book matches that of your car too.

If the dealer is still there you can report them to the local Trading Standards. Don't expect much - they a council department and such will likely be slower than a stoned slug. Do a google search for it or the consumer advice governmental website and I'm sure you'll find it. Or maybe check the AA website The AA: Breakdown Cover, Insurance, Loans, Motoring Advice, Routes & Maps.

If the dealer is no longer there - you could tell the Trading Standards lot anyway - might be a clocking group etc. that they already know about or need info on etc. etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a 1 man dealer trading from eBay and auto trader, i'm not going to go any further with this, i'm happy with the car ive had it since july now with no problems except it uses up alot of coolant which i forgot to mention. filling that up every week, checked for leaks and looks ok so its using it up fast for some reason!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
The coolent has to be going somewhere!!

how much did you give for it?? i guess to didnt do a HPI check then??

Cheers

Rickt

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
The coolent has to be going somewhere!!

how much did you give for it?? i guess to didnt do a HPI check then??

Also... as you think the service book and milage has been clocked.... have you checked or got proof a CAM belt has been fitted?? it may be soon due its next one........

Cheers

Rickt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I took it to audi and they found that the milage had been clocked, would they set it back to what it what supposed to be?

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
I would say its unlikely Audi would have anything to do with mileage alteration but i may be wrong ..

It is possible to change the mileage yourself through VAG-COM if you wish it to match the 134k on your MOT but you need a software program that will do it...

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
You are unable to amend the milage through VAG-COM... When you install a new cluster you get one chance at entering the milage...

yes clocking can be done with the correct tools like anything can be "CHEATED" these days...

if you took it to audi and they found out it was clocked they would refuse to work on the car for legal reasons.. ie.. why would they want a car thats been clocked on their history and want to stamp your book saying they had worked on it.... they opening them selves up to a lot of risk,,,,,,,

However its a different story if you didnt know and took your car there....

Cheers

Rickt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts