Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I went to drive my car yesterday, A3 1.6 sport 1997, and it wouldn't start. I had been driving it during the day without any problems.
All the lights work and the alarm etc but when you turn the key nothing happens. :mad: When I say nothing i mean nothing, no turnover, no noise just a click. The battery light does stay on but if it was the battery surely none of the electrics would work??

I managed to get someone to tow me towards home, when doing so the car started but when i got home i turned the car off and again it wouldn't start.:confused:

Any ideas, obviously i will take it to a garage but just though i would see if anyone knew what the issue was?? also it might help me in that the garage can't rip me off then!! Starter motor maybe or could it be something to do with electrics?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Sounds like the battery has gone...

They can still give out enough amps for a while to run the electrics but when you need to turn the engine over they take a lot more and if you got dead cells then not enough juice available to kick over...

If in doubt pop into a local garage who should put a volt meter on it free of charge to test it ....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I Cant believe this, I read this thread 3 days ago and today this happens to me!

Got a jump start and got it home so I think its the battery, gotta take the morning off work tomorrow to get it sorted.

I gave guy a jump the other day and he sparked the cables the stupid f**ker so maybe that has something to do with it. Should have told him to do one!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not good!!
Apparently the best way to tell if its the battery or the start motor if this happens to you is, turn the key to the on position and then press anything electrical i.e. the horn lights etc. If is the battery then there will not be enough pwer to sound the horn etc. If it all works then it could eb the starter motor.

Hope it turns out alright

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you may. I had it done by a garage owned by someone i know (non-audi garage), for the part and fitting he charged me £120. Sorry not sure of the split for labour and the part or anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts