Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the timing Belt Idler Pully siezing up cause the motor to overheat??

I noticed a burning rubber smell yesterday on my way home and then a minute after that my temp guage started to go up higher and higher. I got it home today and when I started it I noticed some smoke coming from the timing belt cover, so I took it off and noticed that the idler pully was siezed up. It was leaking coolant before this but never to the point of overheating.

I just bought the car 3 days ago so I dont know much history about the car.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
well if i were u i wldnt drive the car and have it towed to the nearest machanic or dealer. b/c a pulley seizing up on u can cause major damage. i dont want to make u worry but u cld have lost ur head or something major if u'r timing belt went on ur car, how many mi. does ur car have?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just take a guess that you might need to replace ur timing belt, usually Audi A4 B5 needs to replace timing belt after 60,000 miles, even the owner's guide says 110,000.... my engine was almost overheat cuz of the timing belt which caused a coolant leak, it was almost run out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the car went to the shop the other day and the water pump pully siezed up on it. I am having the water pump and the timing belt done on it and will have the car back on Thursday. $650 in repairs

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Shifting.......what madeyou change the radiator cap (and by that do you mean the cap in the reservoir tank)......Im having my temp go up to 110 in town traffic (it normally sits at 90) and havent seen the small electric fan come on ever???????......any ideas ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts