Audi Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my '90 V8 I had it checked out real well by my mechanic. However, one fine day, I noticed that my cruise control quit working. I paid no mind to it. Later that day, when flooring the gas pedal to get on the interstate, I noticed that when I lifted my foot off the pedal, the throttle stuck on full....yes on the intersate, in the left lane, busy as hell, I managed (with a lot of brake pedal) to get the car over to the right lane and off the exit, where I immediately turned the ignition off. I coasted to a stop and survived the intense smell of overworked brakes and transmission. The problem: The cruise control quit when the shaft from the vacuum pod to the throttle body came loose on the pod end, due to the plastic rod connector dissintegrating. The rod then was free to flop around, when operating the throttle, like a loose kick stand, just waiting to get caught up and prop the throttle wide open. This connector failure is actually a recall issue and it would be wise to check with your local dealer to verify weather your car has been in for this recall. If not, you can argue with your dealer to perform the fix for free, or just buy the part. It's about $30.00. The most important thing is: When you or anyone else notices that the cruise control has failed, get the car off the road, pull the air cleaner cover, locate the rod (just underneath the airbox), make sure it's not floppin loose and remove it (easy to do) if it is. Then your car's safe to drive. SAFETY FIRST! Carry on.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts