Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experts here on the Multitronic CVT auto box as fitted (here in the UK) to the A6 2.5 diesel? Mine is starting to misbehave:mad:
I'm getting occasional gentle juddering on very low throttle openings - if it was a manual, I'd say it felt like clutch slip.
No problem at all on full throttle acceleration or at high speed - only at low speed, low/mid throttle.
Been to garage and they plugged in their magic box, but it showed no faults so of course they have no idea what to try!
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks

Steve

('02 A6 2.5 diesel with 96k on the clock.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Steve,If i were you i would take out a warranty very soon,just had bad news myself,cvt box packed up last month on my 2003 a6 1.9tdi se (no drive at all) £4,000 to fix,silly thing is it started out as a little judder.waiting on audi getting back to see if they will help with cost Only 65,000 miles
Michael

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, I doubt Audi will be interested with mine at at 97k! Being investigated next week.
How long did yours last from judders to dying??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Multitronic CVT judder

I recently bought an A6 2.5 TDi with the multironic gearbox. When I test drove the car it run perfectly. However, after I got it home (all running gear well warmed over a 30 mile journey), I noticed the gear changes were not smooth and jerky. Grrrr - too late now! Ebay purchase, no refunds!

Anyway, I checked google - just to find that its a common problem. The car has done 85k miles and I dont think the transmission fluid has been changed. I bought 6 litres of the transmission from the main dealer (as there doesnt seem to be a 3rd party equivalent). As mentioned above, the box takes 4.5 litres.

Now comes the interesting part. I recently bought some engine addative to free-up stuck hydraulic tappets. This stuff comes in a 200ml bottle and is to be mixed in 5L of engine oil. After reading about expensive CVT clutch replacements I decided to add a bit of the addative to the CVT refill oil. Before using it I mixed the two oils to make sure that there wasnt a bad reaction (eg, oil emulsifying, cloudy etc). Kept it for a few hours and as seemed well.

So I added about 20ml of the addative to the 4.5L of the audi oil. Refilled the gearbox as in the above postings.

With the refill completed, the gearbox felt worst that before. When cold, the car ran ok for a little while, but after about a mile or two, the take-off gear changes were very clunky (large amounts of judder). I though the gearbox was finished and would need the expensive repairs everyone is talking about in these forums. But I had to use the car over a 50 mile journey (round trip). The journey started off badly, with me helping out the gearbox by taking it easy on the acclerator during take off to keep the juddering acceptable. But after about 10 miles, I noticed the gearbox improve. The judders were reducing (even with the gearbox getting to normal working temperature).

Now that the cars covered about 100 miles, the judder has almost disappeared. I am hoping to change the auto fluid again after about 2k miles. Next time I will add about 10ml of the addative. Going to change the gearbox oil again after another 3k miles and then finally, just use the audi fluid only. Subsequently, I am intending to change the gearbox oil every 20K miles as its not a difficult job once you have done it and know the refilling tricks.

The above fix may not work for everyone, but I wanted to share the knowledge as it could save you a load of money. The addative I used is:

"DX Tune Up" - for sticky hydraulic tappets and valves
Unipart Automotives
Unipart House
Cowley
Oxford
OX4 2PG
44 10865 778966

I am not sure whether the oil change would have cleared the judder without the addative. The old oil was quite thick and black (new is a clear amber) so it need the change eitherway. I have no idea why manufacturers give the marketing guys so much power to cliam lifetime operation. The only guarantee we have in life is that we will die one day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All!

I have a lot of experience of juddering CVT with my Audi. Last autumn my Audis CVT started juddering just only at low speeds. At last, I took my car to a local Audi Service and they told me immediately, that the problem is multi-plate clutch which has been worn-out. Unfortunately, the warranty period was expired a few months earlier but they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse; Total costs, of replacing old clutch assembly to a newer one, would be about 2000 Euros and my share would be about 1000 Euros. We made a deal.

Now, the main point is that the multi-plate clutch worn-out because it is undersized regarding a torque which have to be transferred by multi-plate clutch. Some additive fluids can bring an occasional help, but the sad thing is that those kinds of additive fluids just can’t repair effete clutch. In the end, clutch will break totally and a car just can’t move any more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sclg said:
Any experts here on the Multitronic CVT auto box as fitted (here in the UK) to the A6 2.5 diesel? Mine is starting to misbehave:mad:
I'm getting occasional gentle juddering on very low throttle openings - if it was a manual, I'd say it felt like clutch slip.
No problem at all on full throttle acceleration or at high speed - only at low speed, low/mid throttle.
Been to garage and they plugged in their magic box, but it showed no faults so of course they have no idea what to try!
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks

Steve

Hi all
I am new to this forum business but after dealing with a very expensive and unhelpfull audi dealer in milton keynes felt i had to share my find with some people who may find it useful.My a6 2.5 tdi multi started making a rather annoying juddering when pulling away and after going to the said dealer was told i would need an 'input shaft'{whatever the hell that is}and it would cost around £1500.00.So after scanning the internet found a company called 'inde-tech uk ltd' in milton keynes, who to cut a long story short replaced not the input shaft but some upgraded clutch plate pack at a cost of £750.00 +vat.So my advice to anyone with problems with their multitronic gearboxes or anything to do with their audi is to give them a call. I cannot recommend those guys too much , they were very professional and seemed to know exactly what the problem was without even charging me to diagnose it. very very happy

·
Registered
2 Posts
sclg said:
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks

Steve

Steve,
Got the same problem. Mine wa bought in Germany. Started to go at 100,000. mIts a disk plate on third gear and needs replacing or a new gear box. Here in France they want £5000 to do the jogb with Audi paying half. Not acceptible as Audi should pay all as it is ''a well known problem.
I am contacting Audi France tomorrow and will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to update everyone, I finally gave up and went for a new gearbox back in the Spring. Cost a load, but at least it all works now!
Sadly, this was before the post from Helen44443 - they look worth looking at.

Have to say I still love the A6!!
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
sclg said:
Just to update everyone, I finally gave up and went for a new gearbox back in the Spring. Cost a load, but at least it all works now!
Sadly, this was before the post from Helen44443 - they look worth looking at.

Have to say I still love the A6!!
Steve
Being wonder why such a great car can have this common problem gearbox.. ?? It look like all Multitronic is like that.. . My uncle C5 have change his gearbox after 5 year. lucky..::)

Is there any bimmer/ Merz car have this kind of common problem ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Multitronic

Hi all
I am new to this forum business but after dealing with a very expensive and unhelpfull audi dealer in milton keynes felt i had to share my find with some people who may find it useful.My a6 2.5 tdi multi started making a rather annoying juddering when pulling away and after going to the said dealer was told i would need an 'input shaft'{whatever the hell that is}and it would cost around £1500.00.So after scanning the internet found a company called 'inde-tech uk ltd' in milton keynes, who to cut a long story short replaced not the input shaft but some upgraded clutch plate pack at a cost of £750.00 +vat.So my advice to anyone with problems with their multitronic gearboxes or anything to do with their audi is to give them a call. I cannot recommend those guys too much , they were very professional and seemed to know exactly what the problem was without even charging me to diagnose it. very very happy
I too have had a juddering problem with my multitronic 2.5TDI which an Audi dealer had "no knowledge of" and I the car to Inde Tech in Milton Keynes who have cured the problem. I fully indorse Hellen444s comments

·
Registered
8 Posts
warning on audi multitronic cvt gearbox transmission

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about others in the same boat, from what I can tell, lots of people have multitronic / cvt gearboxes failing in under 50k miles...

Mine has failed under 40k, but I'll share my knowledge so far:

(1) Make sure you get a 7 plate clutch - the 5 plate ones are the cause of the juttering

(2) Have your gearbox oil changed every 40k miles -- it's in the service book, but often gets forgotten. Someone else recommended changing it every 20k which i may start doing as these gearboxes seem notorious for failures

(3) If your PRNDS light is flashing, it may just be the switch on the transmission which costs £1000 instead of £4500 for a whole new gearbox. This is what inde-tech in milton keynes recommended. I've been impressed with them so far as they are much cheaper than the main dealers and seem to know their stuff.

Any advice for my situation below?

For me, the main dealer is saying i need a whole new gearbox, but it drives fine when the PRNDS is not flashing, suggesting it's just a switch. They want £4500 to fix it with around £900 goodwill gesture from Audi UK (because it's failing when the car is so young).

I think £4500 is shocking and I think the gearbox failing in under 40k miles is shocking!!!!

I'm left stunned and not knowing what to do. Do I just change the switch, as inde-tech suggest or do I change the whole gearbox while Audi are willing to give me ~£900 to do so?

http://www.audi-forums.com/images/smilies/sad.gif
:(

I think Audi are way out of line with these huge failures... They just say "its out of warranty now"...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got an 04 2.5tdi multitronic and have just had mine in for the same problem, feels like it's slipping on take off. Read these forums a few days ago so had the info before I took it in. Just heard back from Audi and have been told, "yes, it's the input shaft... £2500..." - which is nice, considering i'm just inside 50k miles and had the proper oil change by them around the 40k mile mark (combined in with a service but think they charged me nearly £100 for it).

Inde-tech have also quoted £750 plus vat (£881) - which saves me a fair bit, but still isn't cricket.

So gonna see what Audi will do about it. Gutted, cos I love that car and that gearbox made it for me - but so far in the past 5yrs of owning Audis i've found the customer service, and the reliability of the cars, to be spot on so hoping they don't let me down when I have a real problem with it.

I did have an issue with losing all power for a couple of minutes twice when it was under warranty but they sorted that quickly and never had an issue since - will have to dig out my paperwork and see if it's not related.

Worst case it's on finance, which is up at the end of August, and having had someone recently reverse into the rear quarter and drive off leaving no details I might just give it back and make it their problem if Audi aren't very helpful - it's currently worth a fair bit more than the final settlement but all these things are starting to add up....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an update - having just picked it up and spoken to the girl at Audi, she had a look through what they can offer and came back with 40% off parts and labour - so down to £1400.

Next stop Audi proper. I don't think it's fair that i'm being collared for what is a weak point in the car. Fully Audi serviced whenever it's been asked for and having checked my paperwork i had that £90+ vat oil change less than 5000miles ago - if they'd told me to have it at 20k instead because of this "known but not admitted to" problem then I would've undertaken it then. I'd accept £600 towards getting it sorted by Inde-tech, but I doubt they'll go for that.

Can anyone recommend someone other than Inde-tech for this kind of a fix??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the juddering at low speed after 2(1st one snapped when put into reverse damaged when delivered) new input shafts and 2 soft ware downloads the problem came back after about 5000 miles Finaly Audi uk changed the box under warranty along with many other parts hope this helps (think problem is coming back new box done 15.000 miles will get it checked )

·
Registered
1 Posts
The gearbox in our A6 2.5 TDi (51 plate) failed at around 112,000 miles. Audi took several attempts to diagnose and solve the problem. Finally after replacing the whole gearbox (minus the casing) and us spending well over £4,000 the problem seemed to be fixed.
However, even though Audi fitted this new gearbox we now have the same problem recurring after only 18,000 miles. We are now outside the two year warranty though for new parts and so Audi are saying they will not help in any way. I am really not happy about this at all as I would expect a brand new gearbox, fitted by Audi, to last a lot longer than 18,000 miles! I have sent a second letter of appeal but am not hopeful. This has really put me off Audi as I thought they always stood for high quality parts and service but that has not been the case so far in my experience!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Peoples

I brought an A4 3.0 V6 on a 02 plate with,76000 miles the clock 11months ago from audi.I could have brought 04 platers,for the same price from private sellers.but as its was from audi,and you got a warranty,and the type of car it was,I thought it was worth the sacrifice of the drop in reg.Around a month ago I was driving on the motorway and the gearbox light came on,and the car started the dreaded "jutters".So i took it to the dealership where I brought it from.First of all they wanted to charge me for diagnosing the problem.They must be CRAAZZZY.The funny thing was the very knowledgable women at the desk asked me a very strange question "is your car a multitronc".I said "yes" and watched her reaction.I could tell by her body language that she did not want to hear that answer.Anyway the next day I get a call.They said"you need a new gearbox which will cost £4.500 and as you have a used car warranty it might not cover the cost".I just blew up I said "how can a car with 76000 miles and I have had less than a year need a new gearbox,they must have known about the fault when they sold it.Its not fit for purpose then screamed Im not paying and slammed the phone down".I got a call back a hour later saying we "will cover the cost"...So i got a result,but I am going to sell the car and never buy another audi again.The reason is,well, they are still selling the same gear box in current models.They have made certain changes to the box,but believe me I have been told buy a top mechanic,they still could have the same problems in the future,and they knew of this problem and still installed it in their cars,and are not taking responsability and want to charge £4.500 for a replacement,is a absolute disgrace. I liked the car but like a exgirlfriend,nice to look at but bad underneath..

·
Registered
8 Posts
New Models

> they are still selling the same gear box in current models.

I've driven a few new Audi's since my 04 multitronic and the new gearboxes are not the same at all. Namely in that they shift through the gears. The DSG types are obviously completely different as well.

Regardless, I share your frustration - I haven't felt that audi "is all about the quality" in the way I'd expect. My clutch slipped again recently, and I'm reminded of my previous multitronic issues. I think I should sell it but equally I'd feel bad for someone else buying it and potentially getting a £4k bill for a new gearbox over the next few years...

From what I can tell, all the big brands make good cars, but electronics (radios, sensors, etc) seem to have issues and anything fancy or new tech like gearless gearboxes are risky things to own... Owning an expensive brand is expensive business when it goes wrong...

Honda were great to me when I had a honda - but I haven't been interested in their models for many years... maybe the CRZ in 2010...

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is a Factory Spec Exhange Gearbox really mean ?

Hi, I've just had a "Shift Solenoid Fault - Short to Earh" and my Audi dealer says I need a "New" geabox at £5000 fitted.

Audi UK have offered me a 40% discount off a "New" multitronic gearbox, due to my very good service history, etc., but my local dealer is now telling me that it won't be a new box, but just an factory exchange unit ???

I can't get hold of anyone at Audi UK to confirm what this means, I don't mind them taking back my old box if they are supplying me with a brand new one, but if the new box is only a refurbished one and still costs £5000 inc fitting before discount to replace, that seems a bit extortionate !

Does any one know the real cost of a new box and what a factory exchange is, so that I can check I’m not being ripped off.

2005 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2.4 V6, Multitronic, 64,000 miles only.

Thanks, Dave.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts