Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '99 a4 2.8l quattro and just went down to the muffler shop. he suggested a mayame dual 3" tipped muffler, but I wanted to come here first and get some advice/feedback on it before i went ahead and got it, or before i approached him with other options. suggestions of any sort are much appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
How much is inexpensive? I was quoted 220USD for the muffler and install. He had some magnaflow and Borla mufflers but said that it would be more expensive because the muffler itself cost about the same, but then tips were extra. I'm well aware of the fact that this is just one shop, but he seemed to actually SUGGEST a less expensive route, and not because of pricing, which kinda makes me listen since it means less money in his pocket.

EDIT: Sean since you're always first to post responses (which i truly appreciate) do you know where i could find out the weight of the stock rims on my car for comparison's sake when i seek out replacements?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
well 220 is a very good price,i bought my exhaust from milltek and it cost $1000. yea its very expensive but i love it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was that a cat back system though? i had already replaced the cats due to some damage from a large rock that bounced onto the road when the vehicle in front of me swerved a bit. anyways backto the point, already had the cats done so it is ONLY the muffler.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
cat-bac/midpipe. 2.75in stainless steel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i went ahead and got it done, it looks decent and sounds pretty sweet. i haven't had a chance to realy try it out and see what it can do but it seems a bit quicker. here is a photo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea but isn't that the only place that it matters? haha i had already done the intake actually so i think it did help somewhat, but mostly in the tone

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
u can prob feel a lil bit of added h.p., i did w/ just an intake,but i had my exhuast and chip installed basicly at the same time and i can deff. feel a difference now!!! but u'll feel it more w/ a chip rather than an exhaust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup i figure the chip is next i'm just trying to get the throttle body off and such, cleaned out, and to check the vacuum system before i do too much more. only problem is not having a garage and living in a dorm...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts