Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as you may have read in my new member poster, i have purchased an A3 1.8T 2000X reg. Can you tell me what sort of mods i can do on this car. I have already dropped in a K&n cone filter (cant feel any performance, but wicked sound).

I was thinking of getting a remap done and i have been quoted £125 for upto 28bhp.

I am also after an exhaust but i dont want this to be too loud. I heard supersprint are just as loud as stock but thats too low. Powerflow are way too loud (had one on a BMW before). What other exhausts are there? (Milltek)

Can someone please tell me if there are any other mods.

P.s. I live in Birmingham, UK so a local place would be very helpful :innocent:

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing I would have a look at before you do a chip on your car or even ram mapping wich is a problem I found that if your coil is a bit old or the air flow meter is messing around it could also hamper the performance of the car let them do a diagnostic test on the car and replace them if need be and then do the mapping because then you will get the performance you should on the car if you do mapping and there is a problem with the 2 of these later you will replace the coil or the airflow meter wich play big roles on the car you will have to do a dyno or maybe mapping again. the nice thing is that on your audi there is a 5yr warrenty on the coil so you wont have to pay for it. And then also try taking the cathelitic converter out and you will already fell a difference just from doing that the cone filter not a good idea the car. audi's dump valve is on one of the pipes going to the air filter and it dumps back in to the system so you dont waste the air and with the cone filter you are loosing the air so it has to try and compensate for it, the other thing is that the audi 1.8t runs very hot because of the turbo now if you take hot air and try breath it in its hard because moister in the hot air, the hot air is very thick, but when you breath in cold air the air is thiner and less moister. well hope you get what i'm trying to say here now its the same with you car. The cone filter is sucking in hot air and it is hampering the performance of your car and the computer because it doesnt know where the extra air that the dump valve dumpded in the system has gone too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your man is right on the money there! Don't use a cone filter on a 1.8T they run too hot sucking in hot air from the engine compartment which is bad! Best off leaving the air induction where Mr. Audi intended - at the front grille where the most cold air is available. I used to have a Mazda 323F and even Mazda recommended that air induction was modified to be taken from the grille (as opposed to the front wheel arch). Besides, the Audi induction is pretty good! Best you can do in my oppinion is upgrade the panel filter (K&N or Green Cotton). Careful with K&N though because the oil on the filter can foul up the MAF sensor. It happened on mine!
As for mods. Check through the Forum, theres all sorts of ideas.
The standard exhaust is pretty good, doing a Milltek etc does very little for performance just makes a loud noise! Plus, unless you want a bean tin hanging below your rear bumper then mods are needed here.
Remaps seem to be the way forward for the 1.8T. Knock her up to around 180bhp with a REVO or AMD. Should cost between £400 & £600. Beware of the local mobile tuning vans & independants. They usually only offer a new base map for the ECU, which is sub standard compared to REVO & AMD as these both do diagnostics (& rolling road in the case of AMD), for each individual car taking into account any power differences on mods already done. REVO also do a free trial!
A cheaper option is Superchips (£300), but this is sub standard compared to the others and is really meant for TDi & non turbos that REVO & AMD don't cater for
If I were you, I'd keep the stock exhaust & induction and just go REVO or AMD. If you insist on doing exhaust/induction/uprated turbo modifiactions, get these done before the remap so they can be taken into account when doing the diagnostic.
in my oppinion the stock componants are good, and 180bhp is plenty enough on a car that size, you're in Quattro land there!
Wish I'd gone for the Turbo. Still baffles me how Auidi can only get 125bhp out of a 1.8 20v, but Honda can get 198bhp out of a 2.0!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just started modding mine and you really can squeeze a lot more from these engines.

Before you do anything replace the standard diverter valve which works via a rubber diaphram to a mechanical piston type (forge 700p or similar) the rubber ones tend to split under the increased turbo pressure.

I went for an Upsolute chip which took my car from 150bhp to 190bhp for £300 which wasn't bad at all.

Fitted a cotton green panel filter.

Frankly I was disapointed with my 1.8T when I got it as my previous car was a Corrado VR6 and that was much quicker.

I love the modded A3 now though, same performance and the Corrado but with 35mpg!

Ron

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah the 1.8T is really ripe for fiddling! Really wish I'd gone for that over the straight 1.8. Still a good car though.
I've heard scare stories about the Forge DV's? Do you find yours OK? Some blokes I know have reverted back to the OEM valve, not sure why though.
Can you feel the difference with the Green Cotton filter? I went K&N which was bad to begin with as they come with too much oil on and mess up the MAF. Re-oiled mine and theres definately a small improvement response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts