Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doing this? I've been mixing 1/4 oz acetone to 1 gal. premium (92 octane) in my 1990 V8. I've picked up 20% better mileage and it feels like I've dropped off 2 people when it come to acceleration.
Granted, I need 93 octane to avoid surging. I was adding octane booster to fix this. With acetone, it also helps the surging, but not entirely. I'm going to try both octane booster and acetone. Also noted: Recent top speed with acetone, confirmed by GPS is 155 mph.
previous non-acetone, with octane booster gave me a 147 mph top speed (though I ran out of road). No acceleration specs (I didn't have any for baseline). The engine temp has been down, also. I use a 1/2"x30" polyethylene hose to pour the acetone in my gas tank to keep from exposing the rubber fill tube section to 100% acetone.

Very non-scientific comparisons....just my observation. Anyone else?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there, Ive also heard of using acetone. And actually used it on one of my cars. I put it in my 2002 neon r/t for a while but I didnt actually notice anything. I put in similar amounts as you have, but got worried about all the rubber it would come into contact with. Now on the other hand ive read that the product Toluene is similar or maybe better. I have no idea. Check out this website if you want.
www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html
Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toluene actually affects the octane properties of the fuel where acetone is purported to work as a surfactant, which changes the vaporization point of the fuel, resulting in more efficient combustion. I think that more efficient combustion provides exhaust gases higher in o2 and helps eliminate surging from the ECU. Next fill I'll try both octane booster and acetone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you worried at all about the rubber lines, seals, etc that the acetone will touch? and if not, why are you not worried. I just didnt want to risk having to replace rubber parts when im trying to sell my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gasoline already has other distillates and additives that are corrosive as well. At 1/4 oz/gal acetone won't harm the soft parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts