Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a A4 1.8SE, all the cars i have found adverts for have mileages in excess of 120000. Is this too many miles to hope for a relatively fault free car.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
the B5 is coming upto 6 years old now... and thats if you have a last one..

thats 20k average --

Cheers

RickT

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a b5 a4 2.8 tip and its at around 123k and i'm not having any problems. looking ahead to timing belt replacement shortly though which is kinda a bummer for the pocket book.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
The Audi engines are good for at least 200k if reguarly serviced and looked after by previous owners. ..

I bought my wifes A3 1997 1.8T with 142k but full Audi service history on the clock and had it 2 years now running on same engine,gearbox and turbo with no problems apart from worn out windscreen wiper motor so theres proof the Audi are good for high mileage ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any common problems to look out for on these cars. I have read somewhere about front suspension problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
after purchasing mine i replaced the entire front suspension basically. its a really simple procedure that you could do yourself and its also important to do as since i waited it cost me a set of tires too. i'm not sure how regularly they go out but in the services records i show replacement of single components twice previously on the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the valve cover gaskets and then i'd check out the tires. my cats also crapped out on me at a time when i wasn't ready to put a catback on yet so i kinda bit it a bit harder than i watned to from it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, mine is a 1997 1.8 5v (which i think is the SE) and its got 206,000 on the clock with a full Audi service history and I must say its the most reliable car ive ever had - I had a brand new Audi Convertable 1.8t Sport recently and that actually let me down twice in its first six months!

I'd keep it simple - high miles are not a problem as long as it got a full Audi service history and only had 1 or 2 owners - then you know its genuinely been looked after, not just been passed around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
just to clarify i was talking about miles, and chris555 you're talking about kilometers correct? or if not that makes me a bit happier about my own mileage!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
little bit off topic... but i was in Greece last year and got in a taxi About a 1998 A6 1.9TDI and it had 650,000 KM on it... i was impressed.. the driver said the car has been on the road 24/7 for the last 8 years with 3 drivers a year... he said its had 6 clucthes 5 time belts and still going stong...The only really hassle he send was wheel bearings with the sand and heat... it had only been off the road for 5 days about 5 years ago when someone crashed into the back of him... and it looked like new on the outside!!

lets say... i was impressed... just goes to show if there looked after they will last for ever!!

just goes to show!!

Rickt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car I am currently looking at is a 1996 and has 88000 miles. has a full audi service history up to 60000 miles and then a local garage did it. I can't find any specific detail of the cam belt being changed, or would it just be covered under that servicing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it might be... but dang thats not that many miles for a 10 year old car.... keep this in mind though: the original suggestion was 90,000 miles before timing belt replacement so they may have been waiting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts