Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought my first S4, a 2001.5 Silver Tiptronic and it only came with one key. The key that I have is the remote switchblade, and the key itself works fine, but none of the buttons on the remote work. I replaced the battery and it still doesnt work. Is there a way to program via the VAG or do I have to go to the dealership? I spent all my money on this car and can't afford the $150 the dealership charges. Also, my rotors are slightly warped, does anyone know of a writeup on replacing rotors and pads for the entire car? Ive seen how to do the front pads...but thats it. Does anyone know of a place where the owners manual is online for free or for sale real cheap? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
S4 repair manuals (and all other models) are for sale at Bentley Publishers. They are the only source I have found that is realiable and good. Manuals on CD are $99.95 and printed manuals are $109.95 usually. I have not found any manuals on eBay that were up-to-date or current versions that would run on most computers. All had something that was not quite right, but you can always look.

Here's the link for the S4 manual on CD

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=ab55

For your brakes, I would start with just doing the fronts and see if that solves the problem. Save you some money if that's all you need. The fronts get much more wear and heat than the rears. How do you know they are warped?

VB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi!

Interestingly enough, I too just purchased an '01 silver 4.2, and only received one key in the deal!

I went to my local Audi dealership, and paid $150 for a new key, which included cutting, and another $55 for programming.....fortunately, the independent dealer I purchased the car from will be reimbursing me for those costs!

If all you need is programming for the key, I'd be very surprised that a dealer would be charging you 150 bucks!

I'm not sure where you are located, but I went to Jack Daniels in Fairlawn, NJ for my key and programming, and paid the fees as noted above...

I hope that helps and all the best of luck with your new baby!!!

Regards,
Shoman
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
To program your key stick it in the driver side door lock and hold it to lock, while you are still doing that hit the lock button on your remote untill you lights flash. I found this out last night, hope it helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Found this posted by Jared71482. I remembered reading it recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr788
Q: How do I reprogram the remote control?
A: 1. Take the valet key, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, just prior to starting the car. (You can use one of the regular keys if youy dont have the valet key)

2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).

3. Exit the car and close the door.

4. With a second key, physically lock the doors (don't use a remote).

5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press one of the buttons and the lights will flash once. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

6. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote).

7. Press one of the buttons twice, the lights will flash twice. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

For a third transmitter press the button 3 times and for a fourth press 4 times.

Paul ads: "Make sure that to test the newly program remotes, the original key is removed from the ignition. Someone might be a bit frustrated trying to test it with it still in 'program' mode." - 2/6/2004

This works for some people, but some people it doesnt-not sure why

It works...
Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ebay Ebay Ebay. I got 07 manuals on DVD/CD for $18. Maybe copies but still the same manual. You can also buy transponder blanks and have the keys made or if you have the VAG stuff you can program them yourself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
BMWhat??? said:
Found this posted by Jared71482. I remembered reading it recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr788
Q: How do I reprogram the remote control?
A: 1. Take the valet key, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, just prior to starting the car. (You can use one of the regular keys if youy dont have the valet key)

2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).

3. Exit the car and close the door.

4. With a second key, physically lock the doors (don't use a remote).

5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press one of the buttons and the lights will flash once. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

6. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote).

7. Press one of the buttons twice, the lights will flash twice. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

For a third transmitter press the button 3 times and for a fourth press 4 times.

Paul ads: "Make sure that to test the newly program remotes, the original key is removed from the ignition. Someone might be a bit frustrated trying to test it with it still in 'program' mode." - 2/6/2004

This works for some people, but some people it doesnt-not sure why

It works...
Good luck!

yeah i programmed my key using those steps...it does work, i can vouche for it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts