Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a reasonably priced car for my son this Christmas. I have looked at some BMW's, Porsche's, and Mercedes (all with the help from those makes' enthusiasts). I decided to take a look at some Audi's, and found a '92 S4 Quattro in my area for $3,500, with 182k mi. I was wondering if this is a good car, and some things I should know before buying (if I try). Were the '92 S4's around 6.0seconds 0-60mph? That's a bit fast, if I am correct. I do think that I can trust my son not to speed, though -- but I'd like to get him something neat.

Any help would be appreciated.
By the way, my limit is about 5 grand from a dealership -- it's only his first car, anyway.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The S4 with a 227hp turbocharged 5 cylinder engine will indeed go to 60 mph in about 6.2 seconds and was one of the fastest Audi production models made back then. The car is heavy and somewhat big compared to a current A4 for example. This is good for protection, but a bit harder to fit into tight places.

The early S4's are great cars. Lots of luxury items, good leather seats, very good rust protection with galvanized panels. This was the top of the line model along with the Audi V8.

They are very good cars - you need to check the turbo of course. Ask for all the maintenance records - if the car has been treated well, they will have them. Any other "story" about why the records can't be furnished and I would recommend walking away.

Good luck,

VB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts