Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen very little information on this, so I'm posting a question to see if someone has experience with it and how the problem might be solved.

About 2-3 thousand miles ago, I started noticing a very slight "grind" when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear when revving above 2500rpm. It was so hardly noticeable, that I didn't give it much thought--I assumed that maybe I got a little sloppy and was letting off the clutch a little too soon. I started slowing my throws after depressing the clutch when going from 2nd to 3rd, just to be safe. But recently, it has become more noticeable to me. I made a conscious effort to fully depress the clutch and add a little delay before shifting. But I'm still getting the grind consistently AND it's noticeable, anytime I'm going from 2nd to 3rd when revving above 2500rpm.

This is incredibly annoying (and unacceptable), having to let the engine RPM drop below 2500 to shift without a grind. So, now that this is reliably reproducible, I think I can bring this to the dealer to sort out.

Questions: Is this something that will require a simple clutch shift cable adjustment, or is it indicative of a failing syncro that will require a transmission replacement? I'm at 28k miles and less than a year to go on my warranty,...

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I've discovered that this is not RPM related. If I try going directly from 1 to 3, revving up to 4k RPM, there is no grind because I'm going too slow. It is definitely speed related.

When rolling forward in neutral at around 40mph, I shifted into 3rd and GRIND. So, it seems to be some kind of synchro issue that is exacerbated by relatively high outside air temperatures. Once the temperatures backed off (the heatwave finally ended!), the shifting was back to normal.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
The gearbox oil on the Audi boxes is for life.... however you can change it to see if it makes any differnce??

however it still could be a syncro issue which is still there but i cant see that the heat outside will have much to do with it really... as once the oil is hot.... its hot and a few degrees out side should not matter...

i would say get back to the dealer now while you still have warrenty as it may take a while to solve and prove to them!

RickT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gear grind

I have a 2002 TT Quattro with 39,0000 miles. The transmission was grinding going from 1st to 2nd gear whenever I went over 2500 rpm. I took it to the delaer and they confirmed I had a bad syncro. They replaced the syncro, 2nd gear and linkage. Luckily I was still under warranty. Good luck with your challenge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yip I have the exact same problem from 2nd into 3rd on my 225 TTC. Must be the syncro on the 3rd gear. Has anyone had it replaced?

Did it solve the problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts