Audi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
im thinking of buying a 2001-2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, and i was wondering which gearbox is best...manual or multitronic..?????????
please advise!

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Manual is better if you want to upgrade the power(remap or chip ) as its much stronger then the multitronic box which i hear can be troublesome and wear early ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have any of you tried a multitronic gear, It rides lovely if you ask me. I suggest you go out and test drive both then make up your mind. I have drive a manual gear for 12years and I recently just change to a multitronic and I am so glad I did particularly when I am stuck in the long wait on the M25.

·
Registered
224 Posts
theonlysbf said:
Multitronic everytime the best auto box ever fitted to a car
No way . . . DSG is by far the best "auto" box . . . period. But they don't fit 'em in the A4, so that's for another thread!

·
Registered
224 Posts
chris_g said:
hello,
im thinking of buying a 2001-2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, and i was wondering which gearbox is best...manual or multitronic..?????????
please advise!
Only you can decide which is best for your own needs. Take it for a long test drive, for an hour if you can, and drive on a mixture of roads you usually use.

If you do decide on the Multitronic - it is a fine auto gear box, but takes a little getting used to, as the engine revs remain fairly constant, even when the speed of the car changes - a wierd sensation at first.

However, the Multitronic is extremely reliant on the correct maintenance. It MUST have oil and filter changes EVERY 40,000 miles - no ifs, no buts. As the '01-'03s you are looking at will be out of manufacturers warranty, should a gearbox fail (and they do if they've missed or delayed an oil change), then budget anywhere between £2,500 and £5,000 for a replacement! :eek: Check the Service Book, looking for recorded evidence of the Multitronic oil & filter change - if there is any doubt, then walk away (unless you can knock £3k to £4k off the asking price ;) ). If there is a grey area with the Multitronic oil change, and you have your heart set on the car, then Audi UK, or any Audi dealer is able to give you a full history of all the servicing, along with any warranty and recall works done.

HTH, rgds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If an A4 could be had with a DSG that would be the way to go, but a multitronic is just a fancy name for an automatic transmission. Get the stick...

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
manual :) the car is 1000x funner and more enjoyable even if you dont know how to drive manual that well its ok... german clutches are very forgiving and there is so many saftey features on it, you cant go wrong if ur worried about not being to learn the clutch.

·
Registered
224 Posts
engage said:
a multitronic is just a fancy name for an automatic transmission.
Erm - no it is not.

A conventional slushbox auto transmission uses epicyclic gear trains controlled by brake bands.

The Multitronic is VERY different. It is a continuously variable "stepless" transmission, using variable width pullys and a big chain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Teutonic_Tamer said:
Erm - no it is not.

A conventional slushbox auto transmission uses epicyclic gear trains controlled by brake bands.

The Multitronic is VERY different. It is a continuously variable "stepless" transmission, using variable width pullys and a big chain.
My Mistake. I keep forgetting that Audi offers a CVT transmission so when I see multitronic I tend to think tiptronic.

I'd still go with the manual, however.

·
Registered
224 Posts
engage said:
My Mistake. I keep forgetting that Audi offers a CVT transmission so when I see multitronic I tend to think tiptronic.
OK, no worries.

engage said:
I'd still go with the manual, however.
The standard auto slushbox is really awful, but the Multitronic isnt too bad really - though nothing beats a manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Multitronic box's are good. Nice and smooth. very relaxing drive. If you accelerate hard it will hold high revs say 3500 until you back off on the power, then the revs drop as your speed increases. This depends on how hard you put your foot down. So if you accelerate gently from stop, it may stay at 1500 or 2000rpm until you back off on the power. I prefer DSG by a mile, But it's still a teriffic box. My A4 had work done to the box, That's why I bought it. It has a perfect service record, Which is essential. I would not have bought the car if I didn't know the history of the gearbox. It has 105k miles and Drives perfect, Much better than my 02 passat wwith 90k, The A4 is a 03. And remember Multitonic box's need an oil change every 40K miles. I have no idea what the stealers will charge for that! My brother bought a 04 A4 multitronic last year and the box died one month later, lucky he bought it from a stealer, Cost them a bit, Got a nice new box! :) I would never go back to manual I don't see the need, I can change into manual if i want to go into a higher gear going up hills, and so on. So for me it's automatic from hear on! and it's only uses around 3-5 mpg more than what the 5 speed manual passat used!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts