Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the wife a new to us 2003 A6 2.7T auto (Audi certified). This is a very nice car but I have a few questions.

The car only seems to get around 20-21 MPG, is that average? I understand it's a AWD and an auto but did not know what is average for this car. This is w/ roughly 80% in town driving and very little highway driving.

The car seems to have a lot of lag but again, I'm not sure what is normal for this motor. I assume a chip would take care of this? I assumed w/ it having the smaller turbo's, the lag would not be that bad.

It does not seem to have any umph while cruising when you mash the go pedal to pass someone, I assume this is from the lag again? Maybe I have a boost leak? Once it gets spooled, it does move though.

The transmission seems to be very spungy. I guess a chip would take care of this as well. I guess they try to make the tranny as smooth as possible and maybe this is the reason?

What modifications do you recommend to make to this car for a little more performance? I'm not looking to install new turbo's or anything like that. What are some of the better vendors to use for chips, intakes and etc..?

How bad are the dealers when it comes to warranty issues if the vehicle has performance mods on it or does this vary? Are the chips traceable (they are on my vehicle but programmers are not, is this true for this motor as well)? Ford is very bad about denying warranties if you modify their diesel motors at all. They have denied warranties for installing an intake only or exhaust but it's usually because a chip was installed. I completely understand that if you play, you may have to pay.

Let me give you a little back ground on what I'm used to driving in regards to the question about not having any umph while passing and most of the others. I drive a 1999 Ford turbo 7.3 liter turbo diesel w/ a manual tranny that has a few performance mods on it. My motor only has one big turbo (this is the reason for the lag on my motor). It does have a chip, intake and exhaust and a few other little goodies. These motors are very laggy if not chipped but mine is almost non existant now. I'm used to mashing the go pedal and the truck almost breaking my neck (not actually but you know what I mean). The fact that this motor actually makes right around 500 ft lbs of tourque at the rear wheels at around 2200 RPM's, the way it is configured at the moment, probably has a lot to do w/ it. My motor is very low reving (3000 redline) w/ tons of torque.

Thanks in advance and I'm glad I found a forum for the new car. Sorry for such a long first post.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
that milage is normal for the 2.7TT cause u drive alot of surface streets
but maybe ur O2 sensor is out that cause alot of milage problems

and the 2.7TT shouldnt have alot of lagg what RPM is ur car startng to pull becasue the 2.7TT comes with small quick spool turbos and a chipp doesnt no eliminate lag, it just increase boost lag is something u cant really eliminate

and dealers are anal about warrenty, but they can only void it if it is the cause of the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much for the mileage. Oh well, didn't buy the car for it's economy features.

I need to pay more attention to exactly when the turbo seems to build some boost. I will have to get back to you on that on.

I only mentioned a chip getting rid of the lag because that's the way it works on a diesel (just dumps more fuel and lights the turbo faster). I should have known that would not work on a gas motor (would run too rich on a gas motor).

I just assumed that w/ it have two smaller turbos, that it would spool almost instantly. Maybe it's just the mooshy stock tranny settings?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i dont know about the dumping more fuel part cause that would casue the car to run rich
and how many miles are on ur tranny maybe u should get it flushed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I know about the making it run rich if more fuel is added. I stated that I made a mistake and was still thinking about my diesel motor and it being chipped.

Supposedly all the service work was done to make it a certified preowned vehicle. I need to find out if that included changing the tranny fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts