Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I have a loss of power problem with my Audi A4 1996 1.9TDI AFN engine. The car performs very well to say it has done 256,000 miles but just over the last couple of months it has started to loose large amounts of power and i think it goes into a 'limp home mood' where it doesn't seem to want to exceed 3 thousand revs or so in any gear unless you switch off the ignition and restart it which seems to clear the fault and it runs normal again.

The loss of power always occur's when i am either overtaking or have my foot flat down on the accelerator (only in 3rd or 4th gear) and the car feels as if it has almost come to a stand still which is quite scary when overtaking.

Some people have suggested to me that the Air Mass Meter AMM might be the fault and that a way of checking this out would be to dis-connect it and then see how the car performs. I did this and the car performed even worse as if it was in the limp home mood before i even sat off!

Does anybody have any suggestions as the fault for this or any solutions, i would be very grateful? And in theory if the AMM was the fault would disconnecting it solve the poblem?

Thankyou Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the same fright as I bought mine. I was very scared it will cost fortune in parts.
Found it was a very dirty (due to rocker gasket leak) connector for the turbo solenoid, which mounted on the front of the engine, LHS (facing the car), next to cambelt cover. There is a thin pipe going to it from the top of the turbo assembly to it
Run the engine up (cold is good as you won't burn your hand!) and fiddle with the connector. You may suddenly feel the solenoid clunk and the engine sound will change. If so, iggy off, unplug and clean the connector and the socket on the solenoid. Hopefully that will be it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,
I also have an Audi A4 avant with exactly the same problem as you matt.When i accelerate hard the power just goes and the car go's into limp home mode.I have just fitted a new MAF this afternoon and took the car for a spin but no change there.Have had a fiddle with the connector for the turbo solenoid but to no avail.Does anyone have any other idea's as i have run out of them...?????
Hope someone could help.Thanks in adance

Chris.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad it isn't just me then mate. Ive had a go with the MAF and the solenoid connector aswell and still no change, getting really frustrating.

Have you had your car into the dealers at all? as i think that is my next and only option but not happy about paying the prices!

·
Registered
2 Posts
HIya Matt,
No havent had it to the dealers as yet as im like you i dont like paying there silly prices for a dyognostic test.I also have the same engine as you but mine is an automatic.i spent £88 yesterday on fitting the MAF but no change.My partners not too happy at the moment with me :(
Anyway if i do find out what the problem is i will be right back here to tell you, and if you have any luck i would appriciate it if you could reply also matt.Cheers mate.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah mate i will post a note here as soon as i find out what the problem is, if i ever do!

Just been having a play with the turbo recently just checking the inlet and outlet pipes to it to see if they are clogged up and if the turbo spins freely, trouble is though i dont think my little mechanical skills and knowledge are going to help me much but i will persevre. turns out they are a bit messy so will give it a lil clean when i get time and see if that does anything!

matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a 1.9tdi avant which had a similar problem and it was a blockage in the hose that ran from the Turbo area to the ecu from what the dealership told me.

Sounds like you might have a similar problem if the pipes look very dirty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here and also new to turbo problems. My brother has a A4 1.9 TDi with similar problems that you have described here. My question is: What does the solenoid do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I also have the same issue with my 1996 A4 TDI.

I've just posted in this thread some details of what I have tried, which may offer some help.

Someone must know what is causing this. Please!

Mine has 126,000 miles on it, and I have just had the manifold cleaned out. It was blocked, but still the problem is there!

Bit embarrasing when Austin Metro's go flying past you...

Is anyone else seeing oil in connector which goes from the ECU (top right of the engine) to the Manifold. Mine was blocked with oil and the ECU contained quite a bit of oil. A suggestion is that the diaphagm in the ECU which deals with air flow could be clogged up with oil. Is anyone else able to check?

Other suggestions have been a poorly diesel pump, but I can't afford to go there. Mrs Miggins in her Austin Metro can overtake me as much as she likes for the price of one of those...

This TDI power loss thing is becoming a bit of a club, but not one I'm that keen on being a member of! :)

Cheers, Lee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

I am now a member of this club too. I have a 1997 with AFN engine and 134K on on the clock. The exact same problems as above and I have replaced the MAF but to no avail.

Have just spent an hour looking at it in a howling gale here in Inverness and noticed that there is a plastic spherical thing rattling around under the turbo. It has a pipe going to it and seems to be involved in the turbo process. Does anyone know what it is?

Also, can anyone tell me I can locate the ECU and the hoses that go to it?

Regards, Donald

·
Registered
3 Posts
can i jion your club. I have an Audi a4 1.9 tdi avant with exactly the same probs. I have had the car 3 years now from 87,000 it has now done 98 and has had this problem from around a month after i bought it. It when t back under warrenty they replaced the e c u the m a f, but i still have the problem, Its only recently i have started to play with other things, Im a vehicle tech i have friends that work for audi and know one seems to know what it is. the car used to go for weeks without the prob then suddenlly when you need a bit of power its like the turbo shuts down, but now it seems to be getting more and more frequent,, Any sugestions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

Just to let you know what I did. There is a hose from the top of the EGR valve to some ecu behind the radiator. It had come off and all I did was push it back on. Car works fine now. The light is still flashing though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Donald M said:
Hi there,

Just to let you know what I did. There is a hose from the top of the EGR valve to some ecu behind the radiator. It had come off and all I did was push it back on. Car works fine now. The light is still flashing though.
it may be something to do with that switch but all the hoses are intact and in place the electrical conector is in place but i still have the problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
also i dont have any warning lights on all i have is a sudden loss of power. when this happens i can turn off the ignition and back on and it clears itself till the next time wich could be 5 mins or longer however it is becoming more and more frequent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds 100% what I had, I have just bought the car..and it was gutless. I hated it..

loss of power eg lorries over take you going up a hill!!!!!!

ok I worked out it was the Mass Air Flow meter...

cost £30 from G&S and I replaced the air filter also...... now it goes like a bat out of hell!!!!!!

the senser is a single wire stand and it corrodes and then breaks once it breaks the it creates a short and the computer puts the car in safe mode...

MODS!!!!!!!

this loss of power and the mass air meter, should be made a sticky for DTi owners..it's an easy fix and can be done by almost any one who can hold a screwdriver..

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 'overboost' problem is very common on VE engine direct injection TDI's.

The symptom is the boost cutting out under load, up hills or at motorway speeds, generally in third gear or higher at around 3000rpm. If you cycle the ignition it resets it.

There are a few main causes for this problem:

The main suspect in 90% of these cases is the 'hot film' Mass Airflow Meter, especially Bosch Maf's which degrade or fail a lot earlier than the Pierburg type.
Running the engine with the MAF disconnected will cause the ECU to use default values, if the car runs better your MAF is totaly knackered, but this method will not allways diagnose a worn or failing MAF.
First try cleaning the element with a suitable spray solvent, and disconnecting and reconnecting the connector several times.

The EGR valve could be gummed up and not closing properly, causing hot oxygen poor exhaust gas to interfere with your fuel/air ratio. If your EGR valve is on its way out, or in need of cleaning it may start to make a 'squawking noise' like a goose. Solved by cleaning or replacing your EGR valve.

If you have a 90bhp model the waste-gate may be fouled or sticking.

If you have a 110 the VNT actuator rod & lever may need a bit of WD40 spraying on it, or the VNT vanes may be sticking in the 'full boost' position, this can sometimes be remedied by aggresive use of the accelerator, or dismantle the turbo and clean the VNT mechanism.

Inlet Manifold fouled, due to the EGR system the inlet manifold is prone to developing a thick layer of sooty crud, which can seriously reduce the volume and airflow of the manifold, this layer can become so thick that it alters the reported manifold pressure.
Remove manifold and clean.

Boost Leak or Boost control leak, check all boost side pipes and hoses especially to and from the intercooler, hose from n75 to the vnt actuator or wastegate, and the small tube to the MAP (on AFN engine with pressure sensor in the ECU check or replace this tube, it is prone to leaks and as mentioned above it is badly designed and traps liquid.)
Feel all the braided rubber hoses where they join other tubes or touch anything, as the rubber can wear away inside leaving the external braid looking intact.
It is recommended to just replace all the small tubes in the control system rather than try and find a minute leak, they cost next to nothing.

Timing can cause the same overboost symptoms. If you are overdue for a timing belt change or sometimes even if you have recently had one, your timing may be too far retarded, causing under-fueling.
A worn/dodgy fuel temp sensor can also cause timing to fluctuate.
If your overboost problem goes away for a few weeks after towing, or if a tuning box stops it, your problem could well be retarded timing.
Use VAG-COM/VAGSCOPE etc to check.
Also if you have your radio code, try disconnecting your battery for 15mins and go for a spin and see if there is any change.

Chipped cars/tuning boxes can also interfere with engine management causing the same kind of problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I am yet another new member to the dodgy 1.9 tdi turbo club. It first happened about 10 months ago (when I first bought the car) but after a couple of weeks sorted itself out, so with the old adage of if it aint broke dont fix it I learned to drive with fingers crossed. Well its broke again and a diesel fitter mate of mine has suggested the solonoid as well so will be having a go with it at weekend. cheers. its nice to know i am not alone.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Turbo actuator arm sticking,catalyst blocked.Also woodruff key on crank wears and causes pump timing to fluctuate when accelerating,runs ok at idle.When fault occurs(limp home mode) turn ignition off and restart,if power restored for short time look at the turbo also the intake manifolds block up at high mileage.Could go on but iam boring myself and my wife has told me to goto bed.Regards Jon

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI All, played around after sending my car in to the shop, it got worst when they worked on it, they told me it was the airflow meter, and that they cleaned it... unn thing is i don't think the guy knew what he was cleaning or where it is, cause the airbox was untouched so he could not have cleaned it... anyway I asked what would happen if i disconnect the AFM he said it won't work... well tried t and the car runs perfect.... no errors nothing.... all i did was unplug the connector and back to the old performance, what a pleasure... so guess it is the AFM, and ill replace it, but for the meantime it works with it disconnected so lets see... just lift the cover over the airbox, pull out the seal and unplug the AFM leave the plug in the airbox and close seal... simple as that, the responce was instant, tested a few times and that was the problem....

Hope this works for a few of you guys too.
All the Best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a member of this club too at 120,000 miles. First thing I did was change the MAF sensor. Still the same.
All my local garages said I should take it to the Audi dealer. I did this and they hooked it up to the computer. Apparently a faulty fuel cut-off solenoid was the diagnosis. Paid £142 to get that changed. Didn't make a bit of difference.
They also suggested the intake manifold was showing an intermittant fault. I know cleaning it out is a reasonably involved job so I might go to a local mechanic to do it rather than paying dealer prices.
I've just ordered an interface cable and downloaded vag-com so that I can check for faults showing after each thing that I do. Hoping it will give me a clearer picture of what's going on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts