Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the audi world, looking to purchase a $14,000 audi a4 1.8T 65,000k My wife really likes it so I think I am going to go and get it. I am little scared, What questions should I ask the seller? Is this a good price? (the blue says yes) First Audi, so really need some advice. It has no warranty left, so I don't to get hit with a big repair bill 2 months from now because it is time to change something major. Help I'm a little nervous but want to please my wife (newly weds, 1yr)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Audi's are solid cars so theres generally nothing to worry about especially at 65k. Check through the service history, see if cambelt has been done and the turbo isnt making any rattly noises. Dont know about the price because im from the uk.

But other than that good luck and happy motoring :beer:

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
wat yr is it? but no u should have nothing to worry about. they r great cars, and really fun to drive. not to scare u but maintnence is a bit pricy but worth it. but u shouldn't worry if there's only 65k on the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by mandoh@Mar 24 2006, 12:10 PM
wat yr is it? but no u should have nothing to worry about. they r great cars, and really fun to drive. not to scare u but maintnence is a bit pricy but worth it. but u shouldn't worry if there's only 65k on the car.

It is a 2000, The maintnence is starting to scary me a little but I guess I will be okay. Do you have any examples of prices of maintnence

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
well this is wat i have had to get replaced to my car, lower and upper control arms, for one side 850(i had to replace both left&right side)so about 1700, timing belt/waterpump about 950-1100, new rear bumper from fender bender 1200,and this was from my dad's friend's local garage, so it might be more if u go to a dealer.yea it's a little pricy, but again i'm 18 and i get $8 an hr. i deff. think all that money i put into the car is worth it 100%.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2000 and it has been great. I had some little problems but Audi payed for most of them. With the exhaust and air pump. The biggest thing you need to know. Make sure the Timing Belt has been changed and if they say yes get proof. A reciept, work order. That's the most expensive. YOu can get your husband to do the regular maintence. I do it and i'm a novice

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Audi maintenance schedule lists the timing belt to be changed on a 1.8T motor at 105,000 miles, however, no one waits that long since belts start breaking before that. I bought my 1999 1.8T avant with 69,000 miles and the Audi dealer recommended changing the belt right away, which I agreed with and did. $600 parts and labor. There is a recall on checking the timing belt (JK) and the dealer allowed that 1 hour as a credit towards my repair.

Just as a side note, $14,000 seems like a lot for a 2000 unless it is an Audi Certified pre-owned vehicle. If it is just from a used car dealer, then I think the price is high. As other posters have mentioned, get the written work orders for any repairs (timing belt especially) that the dealer says were done. What is said, and what has actually been done are often not the same.

I bought my 1999 Avant for $9,300.

Good luck, and by the way, I love my car. Quattro, 1.8T motor and Tiptronic, leatherette heated seats, heated mirrors, sport suspension package and sport steering wheel, etc.

Good luck,

VB

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts