Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. New member to the site and an Audi TT owner for 4 months now. Bought my 00 TT 1.8T with 13K miles and am already looking for upgrades (Under powered) I have purchased the Hyperboost HX Diverter Valve so far to help eliminate my turbo lag (Raced an IS300 the other day, pulled well in 1st and had them up until I shifted into 2nd and felt nothing but motor, no turbo :( ) I have a list of items I am interested in purchasing below and was looking for some advice on what others thought I would be best suited to go with. Your help is greatley appreciated. Happy Driving!

1) Boost Controller (unsure of make and model) any advice on which one to go with?
2) Neuspeed Cold Air Intake (Heard that we have a heat problem under our hoods and the cold air intake wont be cold for long, wouldnt make a difference because I will only be sucking hot air in) Any thoughts on that?
3) Cat Back Exhaust System (I have been looking at Milltek and Neuspeed)

Thanks for you help and any other additions that you feel I could benefit from, I would be welcome to hearing about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice on the chip, I have looked into a chip....I have heard nothing but great things about it as far as HP and Tourque gains are concerned. I am however not interested in spending 1200 dollars on a chip and a new ECU to swap in and out when going in for service. If I understand correctly, a boost controller merely gives me the ability to use the power that my stock turbo is made for (our cars come with 8PSI and the turbo is made to produce up to 15PSI) The boost controller just seems more sensible to spend $400 verse $1200 and get the same results, higher HP and tourque....please let me know if I am mistaken.

Thanks for the response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
:)
Hey Silver00TT,

Welcome to the forum, good to see more folks getting technical and not just posting problems. I am outta my depth with most of this one, but check out a previous discussion here about air intakes. I am also curious about the hot air issue. The unit that buddydog installed looks the way to go, with two inlet snorkels.

Cheers
Kelvin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Kelvin@Feb 21 2005, 07:13 AM
:)
Hey Silver00TT,

Welcome to the forum, good to see more folks getting technical and not just posting problems. I am outta my depth with most of this one, but check out a previous discussion here about air intakes. I am also curious about the hot air issue. The unit that buddydog installed looks the way to go, with two inlet snorkels.

Cheers
Kelvin

Hey Kelvin,

Thanks for your reply, I tried to click on the link and it wouldnt open, said the "Page could not be displayed".....I'll look around and see if I can find it....
Holler at me if you have a new link for me to click on.

(10 minutes later) Found it....Looks as if there are multiple issues with installing a CAI in the TT, from the MAS sensativity to the fact that the TT engine compartment has a bit of a heat problem....not sure if the CAI is really worth all the effort and dollars....also, I spoke with a guy at stratmosphere (www.stratmosphere.com)in NY and he said that replacing the drop in air filter would probably be a safer and easier way to help the system breath. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Silver00TT@Feb 22 2005, 11:03 AM
Hey Kelvin,

Thanks for your reply, I tried to click on the link and it wouldnt open, said the "Page could not be displayed".....I'll look around and see if I can find it....
Holler at me if you have a new link for me to click on.

(10 minutes later) Found it....Looks as if there are multiple issues with installing a CAI in the TT, from the MAS sensativity to the fact that the TT engine compartment has a bit of a heat problem....not sure if the CAI is really worth all the effort and dollars....also, I spoke with a guy at stratmosphere (www.stratmosphere.com)in NY and he said that replacing the drop in air filter would probably be a safer and easier way to help the system breath. Any thoughts?

:grin: Couldnt resist, just bought the Neuspeed P-Flo CAI on www.ttstuff.com....compulsiveness is such a useless human attribute, only gets us into trouble :D I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
:wink2:
Thanks for the heads-up Silver00TT, fixed the link (and checked that it is working).
:grin:
LOL, I know what you mean about compulsive!
I have also thought of putting the OEM airbox back and using a drop in filter. I originally opted for the unrestricted cone since it promises greater gains. I will wait on some feedback from you before making any changes. Follow through with some pics when you have it installed, it will be good to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Kelvin@Feb 23 2005, 05:01 AM
:wink2:
Thanks for the heads-up Silver00TT, fixed the link (and checked that it is working).
:grin:
LOL, I know what you mean about compulsive!
I have also thought of putting the OEM airbox back and using a drop in filter. I originally opted for the unrestricted cone since it promises greater gains. I will wait on some feedback from you before making any changes. Follow through with some pics when you have it installed, it will be good to see.

I will include some pictures as soon as Im done installing the CAI. I received my new Hyperboost HX Diverter Valve from www.stratmosphere.com yesterday and installed it about 15 minutes ago.......I just got back from taking the car out on some runs with the new Diverter Valve in......Results are to follow but i'll talk about the install process first. It was extremely easy, our OEM valve is located just under the right hand top corner of our engine cover. Our OEM valve is plastic, and a piece of crap. The new Diverter valve took about 15 minutes for me to install (Im no car mechanic either) :grin: After taking it on about 4 runs I have come to the conclusion that I do not notice anymore turbo lag, so my main objective was accomplished. This was a Recirculating Diverter Valve as opposed to an Atmospheric blow off valve that produces that Wooooooosh sound we all get excited to hear. With the valve I bought it takes any of the wasted exhaust that would normally be blown off and recycles it through the system, supposedly this is the only way to go with the 180 TT because the car would stall at lights and buck wildly if I didnt recirculate the waste. So in conclusion, I think this was a wise investment of $159.00 and would rank the service I received from www.Stratmosphere.com at about a 9......They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable on the TT.

Hey Kelvin what are you running as a Diverter Valve or Blow off Valve?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
:thumbsup:
Sounds good silver! Apart from the K&N air filter, my car is stock standard, so I guess it is the standard blow-off valve. I had not been aware of what this was until I replaced the CAI and that woosh sound didnt go down too well with me at first, gave me quite a shock!. I figured it was just blow-off after I settled down and gave it some thought.
I am going to check out that site, this sounds like an interesting way to go and something I could do (not being one for too much fiddling)

:w00t:
Ok, 1 hr down the line had a good check at stratmosphere. Nice site, I dropped them a mail about the diverter valve and will see what comes back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Kelvin@Feb 24 2005, 06:10 AM
:thumbsup:
Sounds good silver! Apart from the K&N air filter, my car is stock standard, so I guess it is the standard blow-off valve. I had not been aware of what this was until I replaced the CAI and that woosh sound didnt go down too well with me at first, gave me quite a shock!. I figured it was just blow-off after I settled down and gave it some thought.
I am going to check out that site, this sounds like an interesting way to go and something I could do (not being one for too much fiddling)

:w00t:
Ok, 1 hr down the line had a good check at stratmosphere. Nice site, I dropped them a mail about the diverter valve and will see what comes back.

Let me know what kind of info you get from stratmosphere, if you want to speak with someone there I reccomend Bob or Rich...both of them are extremely knowledgable on the TT's inner workings and parts that would best be suited for the ride.....Rich actually does some of the installs....Im still waiting for my CAI to arrive.

Happy to report that I raced one of my buddies today, he had a 1998 Toyota Celica that was chiped and had CAI installed.....I beat him 0-70 by about 2 car lengths....the hole time I could hear him squealing tires as he shifted while my Quatro held tight and performed well.....he says I got a good jump :grin: Cant wait for the CAI to arrive so I can take a shot at his Lexus IS300 again :wink2: Not even going to attempt to take on his 04 M3....thats just a pipe dream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Originally posted by Silver00TT@Feb 22 2005, 10:50 AM
:grin: Couldnt resist, just bought the Neuspeed P-Flo CAI on www.ttstuff.com....compulsiveness is such a useless human attribute, only gets us into trouble :D I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Hey welcome to the forums! I too am fairly new here and this site seems to have a great bunch of folks invovled here. I had some pieces of intake laying around and made my own CAI. here is the link to those pics. http://www.audi-forums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=38&t=1996
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Originally posted by Silver00TT@Feb 19 2005, 11:53 PM

1) Boost Controller (unsure of make and model) any advice on which one to go with?
2) Neuspeed Cold Air Intake (Heard that we have a heat problem under our hoods and the cold air intake wont be cold for long, wouldnt make a difference because I will only be sucking hot air in) Any thoughts on that?
3) Cat Back Exhaust System (I have been looking at Milltek and Neuspeed)

Thanks for you help and any other additions that you feel I could benefit from, I would be welcome to hearing about.
When considering chips, check into 'REVO" software tuning. I just did a four bar map on my TT and I love the power changes. It really wakes the 180 up! The best part is I did not have to pull the ECU. Find the REVO dealer, drive to him. He'll plug into the OBD port and reflash you computer. Took about 20 min. for the whole thing to get done. I believe the dealers also allow a 80% 5 hour test drive. Meaning they flash you ECU, you drive it at 80% to let you see the power gains. After 5 hours drive time the ECU reverts back to stock. Pretty cool system. I've had my flash now for about 8 or 9 days! Loving it! I was able to take down a Subaru WRX (not sti) the other evening and I don't think I could have done that without REVO. Another point is that the cost is about the same as buying a chip. You don't have to pull the ECU, send it in and wait. IE: no down time. I'm sold on it. Once you have the flash you can purchase a SPS3 and program your ECU yourself. Adjust timing, boost and fuel. Enough ramble from me, check them out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by auditt1.8l@Feb 25 2005, 07:17 AM
When considering chips, check into 'REVO" software tuning.  I just did a four bar map on my TT and I love the power changes.  It really wakes the 180 up!  The best part is I did not have to pull the ECU.  Find the REVO dealer, drive to him. He'll plug into the OBD port and reflash you computer. Took about 20 min. for the whole thing to get done.  I believe the dealers also allow a 80% 5 hour test drive. Meaning they flash you ECU, you drive it at 80% to let you see the power gains.  After 5 hours drive time the ECU reverts back to stock. Pretty cool system.  I've had my flash now for about 8 or 9 days! Loving it!  I was able to take down a Subaru WRX (not sti) the other evening and I don't think I could have done that without REVO.  Another point is that the cost is about the same as buying a chip. You don't have to pull the ECU, send it in and wait.  IE: no down time.  I'm sold on it.  Once you have the flash you can purchase a SPS3 and program your ECU yourself. Adjust timing, boost and fuel.  Enough ramble from me, check them out.
Great information man, thanks so much...Im going to do a search now and see what I can find. That sounds a hell of alot better than buying a chip and a replacement ECU.....Your custom CAI looks pretty good, my only question and comment would be, are you encountering any issues regarding heat under the hood? TT's are infmaous for the heat problems or rather the lack of proper heat distribution under the hood.....I would reccomend you find some type of heat shield to wrap around that CAI....pulling hot air into the Cold Air Intake is still going to stay Hot....just received my Neuspeed CAI in the mail today, it comes with a Stainless Heat shield, Stainless helps reflect heat away from intake....let me know what you think.


40 minutes later - Just called a local Revo Software supplier here in South Florida, going down there tomorrow for the test flash :grin: Your suggestion was spot on.... It also looks like the price is right in line with what a chip would cost $499.00...the great thing seems to be that I wouldnt have to buy a replacement ECU that would run me another $600 on top of the chip......i'll keep you posted on the results of my test flash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Originally posted by Silver00TT@Feb 25 2005, 09:39 AM
Great information man, thanks so much...Im going to do a search now and see what I can find. That sounds a hell of alot better than buying a chip and a replacement ECU.....Your custom CAI looks pretty good, my only question and comment would be, are you encountering any issues regarding heat under the hood? TT's are infmaous for the heat problems or rather the lack of proper heat distribution under the hood.....I would reccomend you find some type of heat shield to wrap around that CAI....pulling hot air into the Cold Air Intake is still going to stay Hot....just received my Neuspeed CAI in the mail today, it comes with a Stainless Heat shield, Stainless helps reflect heat away from intake....let me know what you think.
40 minutes later - Just called a local Revo Software supplier here in South Florida, going down there tomorrow for the test flash :grin: Your suggestion was spot on.... It also looks like the price is right in line with what a chip would cost $499.00...the great thing seems to be that I wouldnt have to buy a replacement ECU that would run me another $600 on top of the chip......i'll keep you posted on the results of my test flash.
As for heat I have not really had to deal with the heat yet as our ambient air temps have still been pretty cool so no ill effect yet. In another post I was discussing moving the battery to the truck to open up a area to allow air to be directed to the AI via some ducted hoses. Though with so many wires going to the Bat. I don’t know if I want to take on that chore or not. My other option was to use or build a small box enclosure mounted to the bottom of the hood that would encapsulate the breather then using my plasma cutter to make some elongated slots that would allow cooler air to be drawn in. I’m thinking the slots might work if I allow for some water baffling to keep rain out of direct contact with the breather. Anyway that’s just some idea’s I’m playing with. As for the Revo software test, I think you’re going to really like it. $499 that is what I paid. Be sure to ask them about the differences between the 3 bar and 4 bar programs and using the SPS-3. I’ve got a solo 2 event coming up March 6th and this will be my first one with the TT I’m looking forward to it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by auditt1.8l@Feb 25 2005, 11:30 AM
As for heat I have not really had to deal with the heat yet as our ambient air temps have still been pretty cool so no ill effect yet. In another post I was discussing moving the battery to the truck to open up a area to allow air to be directed to the AI via some ducted hoses. Though with so many wires going to the Bat. I don’t know if I want to take on that chore or not. My other option was to use or build a small box enclosure mounted to the bottom of the hood that would encapsulate the breather then using my plasma cutter to make some elongated slots that would allow cooler air to be drawn in. I’m thinking the slots might work if I allow for some water baffling to keep rain out of direct contact with the breather. Anyway that’s just some idea’s I’m playing with. As for the Revo software test, I think you’re going to really like it. $499 that is what I paid. Be sure to ask them about the differences between the 3 bar and 4 bar programs and using the SPS-3. I’ve got a solo 2 event coming up March 6th and this will be my first one with the TT I’m looking forward to it!
YOUVE GOT A PLASMA CUTTER?!?!? Your a better man than I :grin: The battery move sounds to be a possible pain in the ass, like you were saying with all the wires. I'll bet some nice vent slots in the hood would look pretty nice, I vote for the vent slots.....This guy mentioned I could purchase the SPS1-3 for an additional $129.00 - $363.00 or something like that....he didnt do a great job of explaining, perhaps you could do a better job? Whats a Solo 2 event?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Originally posted by Silver00TT@Feb 25 2005, 10:36 AM
YOUVE GOT A PLASMA CUTTER?!?!? Your a better man than I :grin: The battery move sounds to be a possible pain in the ass, like you were saying with all the wires. I'll bet some nice vent slots in the hood would look pretty nice, I vote for the vent slots.....This guy mentioned I could purchase the SPS1-3 for an additional $129.00 - $363.00 or something like that....he didnt do a great job of explaining, perhaps you could do a better job? Whats a Solo 2 event?
The SPS 1, 2 & 3 are small hand held devices that allow you to change to different pre-programmed maps in the ECU. SPS-1 is pretty much obsolete and you need not mess with it. SPS-2 allows you to change from a 91, 93 & 100 octane settings. These are pre programmed into your ECU when you get your Revo software up grade. SPS-3 is the best as it allows the end user (you) to plug into your OBD port and not only change octane programs but it also allows the user to adjust timing, fuel and turbo boost pressure based on your current conditions and type of fuel your running.

A solo 2 event as a time based road course marked out by orange cones. The object is to navigate the course as fast as you can without missing the course or hitting cones or spinning out! These events are hosted by the SCCA or sports car club of America. They have local and national events all over the country. It’s a great way to test your car, your skills and develop new driving talents. But most of all it’s a lot of fun!

Here is a couple of links to the SCCA http://floridaregionscca.com/
http://www.cfrscca.org/

these links are for the Florida area, don’t know what part of Fla. Your in but I’m sure these sites will help you find your way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by auditt1.8l@Feb 25 2005, 11:53 AM
The SPS 1, 2 & 3 are small hand held devices that allow you to change to different pre-programmed maps in the ECU. SPS-1 is pretty much obsolete and you need not mess with it. SPS-2 allows you to change from a 91, 93 & 100 octane settings. These are pre programmed into your ECU when you get your Revo software up grade. SPS-3 is the best as it allows the end user (you) to plug into your OBD port and not only change octane programs but it also allows the user to adjust timing, fuel and turbo boost pressure based on your current conditions and type of fuel your running.

A solo 2 event as a time based road course marked out by orange cones. The object is to navigate the course as fast as you can without missing the course or hitting cones or spinning out! These events are hosted by the SCCA or sports car club of America. They have local and national events all over the country. It’s a great way to test your car, your skills and develop new driving talents. But most of all it’s a lot of fun!

Here is a couple of links to the SCCA http://floridaregionscca.com/
http://www.cfrscca.org/

these links are for the Florida area, don’t know what part of Fla. Your in but I’m sure these sites will help you find your way.
Hey thats great information, thanks alot for that.....Im actually in South Florida, Boca Raton area....This Revo software just keeps sounding better and better, although these hand held devices sound extremely helpfull and are probably recomended for the user that has a specific idea of what mixtures and programs they want to run, I myself am just looking for a few extra pounds of boost to play around with....This Revo software sounds unbeatable, but I think i'm going to pass on the SPS upgrades......Good luck in the event, post some pictures from event if you take any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Originally posted by Silver00TT@Feb 25 2005, 04:31 AM
Let me know what kind of info you get from stratmosphere, if you want to speak with someone there I reccomend Bob or Rich...both of them are extremely knowledgable on the TT's inner workings and parts that would best be suited for the ride.....Rich actually does some of the installs....Im still waiting for my CAI to arrive.

:thumbsup:
I got a pretty prompt response from a guy called Greg at stratmosphere and you are right, they seem very happy to help. This is an excerpt from the mail he replied to me with:

"The HyperBoost Valve is a certainly a nice upgrade. The stock valve simply wears out over time. The plastic components of the valve get flimsy. The hyperboost valve has all metal components. Its much more durable and responds much quicker than the stock valve. The idea is to reduce the turbo lag. The fast action of the valve allows the turbo to stay spooled up during shifts. Installation is a breeze. Our instructions are quite detailed. Below is a direct link to the instructions in .pdf format. Let me know if you have any further questions."

:mellow:
Since my car was pre-owned, I don't have a sense of how it drove when it was new and if any of the wear that he is talking about is starting to affect the turbo lag more so. I dont know the cost of the OEM diverter valve but I am willing to bet it is not likely any cheaper than the Hyperdrive one, knowing the general cost of Audi parts out here. I think it is a worthwhile upgrade from a number of perspectives.

I have just sent off a mail asking if an aftermarket CAI has any impact on this diverter valve.

B)
On a slightly different note guys, there is no need to keep the previous posting quotes each time unless you feel a need. Simply delete the quote commands when you are replying. It will help keep the threads a little shorter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I have just sent off a mail asking if an aftermarket CAI has any impact on this diverter valve.
The only impact that I can see that a CAI has on any D/V system is you can hear it a lot better. The D/V maybe come a little more active as your getting more air into the turbo
and the turbo is responding quicker thus maker the D/V work quicker. But aside from that I can not find any reason to think its harmful.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top