Audi Forums banner

Long-life Or Regular Service Intervals?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Galilee 
#1 ·
Are you running your car on the long-life service intervals (decided by computer), or on fixed driven distance? Any special reason for choosing one over the other?

Oh, and I run mine on long-life, the parts and oil is more expensive, but i get the best economy by far this way (more than 45k km between services). The mileage is a tad high for my liking, but i assume the engineers at Audi know what they're doing...

#2 ·
I beleive the long life service intervals are designed for cars being driven over high mileages each year mainly intended for motorway use which in turn is not so bad for the engine and fluids etc as short start stop journeys which require shorter service intervals.

#3 ·
If the car is on long-life, the computer will take into account the load on the motor and also if you have lots of stop-starts.

I have seen the computer recommend service before normal service interval (VW Bora, hard driving, high load/trailer over some time).

Maybe I should rephrase the question to:

"Do you trust the computer (or the engineers programming it) to decide when the car needs service, or do you service it based on miles covered?"

The reason I asked is because the previous owner of the car ran services based on miles only, and I can't see any reason why this is better than if a computer calculates when the service is needed. I changed all fluids and had the computer changed to long-life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.