Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 a6 4.2 and need a rough idea of where the thermostat might be located. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Are you having trouble with the temp gauge? If so then look to replace the temp sensor located toward the rear of the motor. The Thermostat is located down by the water pump lower front. Quite a pain to change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also

Do I need to take the timing belt to get to it? Also is there a bleeder to drain the coolant? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry but it's a little over my head explaining how to do this. My Bently's service manual does have a nice step by step with pictures. You may want to pick one up and take a look see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You shouldnt actually have to replace the timing belt to get at it, but its in the same area (which is a process to get at)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lots of air

Originally there was a crack in the plastic coolant tank which was leaking coolant from the crack. I replaced it and drained out the coolant. However I couldn't locate a bleeder to get the air out. After filling with coolant the car continuosly burps violently. I let it cool down and the resevior goes low and I fill it up again. So far I've gone through 4 gallons of coolant and she still won't stop burping. No signs of leaking, and the radiator seems to be working. When the oil temp rises the car goes from normal to hot. I've tried the standard procedure and still no dice. Has anyone ever changed the coolant for this car b4 or know of how to go about getting that air out? I thought it might be the thermostat, but if that wasn't working would it still be burping out the air?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts