Audi Forums banner

little shake at idle

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  robj 
#1 ·
i just purchased a 2000 s4, stock, and it seems like at an idle the car has a little shake to it, i know one of my other vehicles did this but the check engine light was on and it ended up being a misfire. is this normal or should i have it checked out?

thanks

#5 ·
I've had an intermittant rough idle which last Monday got worse to the point of the engine dying twice when leaving my parking bay. Since then its been fine, but yesterday I had my codes read which showed intermittant error on lambda 1. So I've replaced both probe sensors plus the temperature sender unit for good measure - not cheap on this side of the world. Probe 1 was shot - could hear loose ceramic inside when shaken. These sensors sit just before the catalytic converters and feed emmission info back to the computer to set fuel mixtures. I've decatted my car, but this is not the cause. They can last long or wear out soon - matter of luck. I'm now hoping that my fuel consumption in daily bumper to bumper traffic improves down from around 15L per 100 kms. On the open road I get between 8 & 9L which is fantastic, but does'nt help when u in traffic all week. When in doubt, check your codes.

#6 ·
robj,

Can you simply go to the Audi dealer and ask them a list with your cars' on-board diagnostic information? How much would that cost?

Or, you read the codes directly on the display of your car? In this last case, after entering the diagnostic 1C function, what do you have to do to see the DTC codes? Mine displays only .0 after entering 1C.

I also got around 14L/100km in the city, without pushing it... It seems kinda lot to me.

Ovidiu

#7 ·
Tesh
Dealer's laptop plugs into ashtray socket between front seats. If no errors, do'nt let him charge you. Looks like the 61 codes available on the aircon display refer only to climate control, but I could be wrong, although what I got off the website showed engine speed as the only non-aircon item.

#8 ·
I have a 2002 A6 2.7 T (same engine as yours) and I have been working with my local dealership for over a month now, with the same problem!! First they repaled the coil on cylinder 5 and that seemed to make it a little better. Yesterday I had them change out all the plugs ($150, they eat the install cost). It seems to be running even better but still burps every now and then. We think what happened is that the person who owned the car before me did not always run the 93 octane gas, and it created a situation called pre-detonation, which caused build up on the plugs. They also reccomend to run a few tanks of Cheveron gas (the additive in the 93 octane is supposed to work wonders on these engines) I am running it around for the weekend to see if that was the problem, but if not luckly a head audi tech will be in my area next week and will look at it. I hope this helps and if I find out anything new I will be sure to post it.

#9 ·
robj,

Did changing your sensors fix the idle shake? I have just bought a 2000 S4 that shakes at idle and the computer says it's the temperature sensor and the lambda sensor (bank 2 sensor 1). It has also started to hiccup around 3500 - 4000 revs when i floor it. Any help from your experience would be appreciated, thanks.

#10 ·
Had the same issues w/my '01 S4, I swapped the MAF sensor for a different reason (to handle the vastly increased HP) and my problem has now miraculously vanished, along with the hiccups I had at around 1.5 of boost.
Ask the dealership if this could be your issue as well. They can't ever help me b/c of all my mods.

#13 ·
robbayliss said:
robj,

Did changing your sensors fix the idle shake? I have just bought a 2000 S4 that shakes at idle and the computer says it's the temperature sensor and the lambda sensor (bank 2 sensor 1). It has also started to hiccup around 3500 - 4000 revs when i floor it. Any help from your experience would be appreciated, thanks.
No, changing the lambdas did not solve the missfire. What I eventually did was replace all my plug leads, problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.