Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all – new here and searched the forums for some sort of solution, however, nothing conclusive. I have a 1995 A4 1.8 and found that the horn as well as "lights on" buzzer works intermittently. For most of the time, it does not work and then one day – voila – it works again, but only to die again soon.

Obviously it is not fuse related, but I read about relays that could cause this. Can a relay work intermittently? Someone also mentioned that something could be faulty inside the steering wheel itself – I’m a bit hesitant to open the steering wheel, as I would not like to mess up the airbag assembly.

Another thought that came to mind is the ignition. I believe that the immobiliser is coded into the key and automatically mobilises the vehicle once the key is inserted. Some times when starting the vehicle, the engine will cut out immediately after starting. This will happen a few times, but if the key is removed and inserted again, it starts fine. I’ve also noticed that normally, when turning off the ignition, the radio will continue playing until the key is removed from the ignition, however, on occasion, it will stay on even after the key is removed. Not sure whether it may have any bearing on the above but one never knows….

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dawie

·
Registered
144 Posts
For the immobiliser (and not only), you should check the wirings behind the instrument cluster. It's pretty easy to get it out. I did some more writings on this topic, here are the links:
http://www.audi-forums.com/index.php?showt...=9082#entry9082
http://www.audi-forums.com/index.php?showt...=8987#entry8987
The problems that you have are all electrical. Though they might seem unrelated, there's a chance that they have a common cause, like a bad ground connection. I recommend that you run a vag-com diagnostic on your car, I'm quite sure you'll find some faults and they might point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to investigate this myself and managed to resolve the starting problem as well as isolate the horn problem.

As far as the starting goes, I removed the wire cluster plugged into a “little white box” (I think it’s the reader coil) underneath the dash to the left of the ignition switch. I then blew the plug to remove any dust and dirt and then plugged it back in again. Thereafter the vehicle started without any problems, so I presume there was a faulty/dirty contact somewhere on the reader coil wiring?

With regards to the horn, it seems the earth to the steering shaft is the problem. If I run a loose earth to the top of the shaft, the horn works perfectly. However, one cannot run a wire, as it will wind up as the steering wheel turns. The bottom portion of the shaft is earthed, but, as the top of the shaft can move “in & out” (telescopic movement) i.e. pushed toward the dash or pulled toward the driver to adjust as needed, there obviously must be some way these two portions of the shaft “connect” and it is this connection that must make contact intermittently. I suppose the shaft works somewhat like a prop shaft, but lined with a nylon/teflon type sleeve, however, I am not sure. If any one knows how these parts fit together and where one could look to try and resolve the earth problem, it would be appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts