Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Greg... Got a few problems that you may be able to help me out with.

First off, yesterday going home, my LCD display popped up with a water temperature icon, the one with flowing water. I immediately pulled over to check it out. Engine was nice and cool, almost too cool. Water level looked okay. I checked the temp gauge and it was fine. Oil pressure at 5 bar, and oil temp nominal.

So I continued on.

Got home no problems. Then this morning I start driving to work, in the 55mph stretch it does it again! 5th gear, 55mph, around 2200 on the tach. I noticed my temp gauge was kinda low? Mind you, it's been about 5-10deg F. The display went out after about 20 seconds and I continued on... About 4 miles down the road it did it again. Odd. Everything looks normal?!? Good heat from the heater, although not as hot as normal. But it's a lot colder out.

Could the display be coming on because of low temp? Or Can it come on from low coolant? Or do you think I have a sensor going out? Like I said the temp gauge reads a little low but is functioning properly. When I get to the 45mph zone and shift to 4th, the temp comes up a little. No light after that.

When the light came on, the gauge was just above the 3rd line on C. Not quite normal operating temp.

Another issue that cropped up yesterday is an odd noise coming from what seems to be the shifter.... The only way I can describe the sound is two pieces of sticky rubber rubbing together fast. The pitch changes if I accelerate or let off the gas. Does not change with speed. If I press in the clutch the sound goes away. If I take it out of gear while rolling with clutch out it goes away. It's almost like a vibration. Seems like if you had something caught, or rubbing on a universal joint... I don't really feel anything different in the car when it does it which is odd. Now, I have noticed since I had the car when I get on it the shifter raised or moves more then what I think should be normal. It's really hard to get into reverse sometimes.
Is there a rear tranny mount that would cause this? It kinda sounds like polyurethane rubbing...

That's about the best I can describe it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey Doug...Greg here. Well by the sounds of it you might need to replace the T-stat. Or you have an air pocket in the cooling system itself. The heat should not change in Temp no matter what the temp is outside. You might have a temp sensor starting to go but I would look more at the T-stat and the airlock in the system first. As for the noise near the shifter...you might have a tranny mount or motor mount going on you. Wouldn't hurt to replace them if they haven't been done before. Get back to me and let me know how you made out?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Greg!

Well, I got the light thing figured out....LOL Low coolant. I didn't realize this was a multi chamber of sorts. I stopped by and got the right (Orange) coolant ($14.99 a quart??? WOW) and topped it off to the line....

No more light.

I don't think it was an overheat light, is there a low coolant icon? I saw somewhere that there is a key that shows what each icon means... For the life of me I can't find it....

BTW, I have the digital readout for warnings.

Thanks man!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted out man...good job. That's the first time I've ever heard of someone using orange coolant in these 20v's. I just got my fresh new motor done and I'm filling the system up with the concentrated blue coolant. The one where you have to put one full bottle of the coolant to one full bottle of water. 1-1 until full. Well whatever works I guess. Yeah there is a low coolant icon on the display. That's what set it off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After further reading, I should have put the blue stuff in. Petrosin comes in blue and orange. They say not to mix them. When I do the water pump the kit comes with blue. All will be well.

Sweet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts