Audi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going crazy after 2 weeks of owning my 96 A4 because I don't have my XM satelite radio. I want to avoid putting in a new head unit (because that will lead to new speakers and amps and subs for me-and as a new father I have other priorities). Does anyone have any pics or advice on installing a satelite radio controller that looks good but still has functionality. I'd appreciate any ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i cant help you there... however if you do find any info please post to let us all know..

Cheers

Rickt

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Call me stupid on this one but what do you mean by Satellite radio

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
docurley said:
I forget that most people on this forum are in the UK. Satelite radio is either by XM or Sirius. They send over 200 channels of commercial free music, talk, sports, news, and weather via satelite that. It is great. No commercials or annoying disc jockeys. The unit in you car is small and displays the channel information (song title and artist). I'm working on a solution now so when I get it done I'll post pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Sound cool.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
docurley said:
Yeah the best we got is DAB, I contacted SIRIUS(sat radio) by e-mail asking if they had anything planned for the uk but they said as they were a north american company they had no further expansion plans for the foreseeable future.
I guess we will always be years behind on the technology front.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats a pretty nice OEM looking install.

I got my self a S50 Sirius radio for christmas so i can listen to the footie and some english channels.

Like most here i want an OEM looking install, clean and know crappy wires all over the place.

I found a nice bracket on eBay for my B6. So once i get it installed properly i'll take some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
yeah thats looks a good install..

Sounds like its the same as the DAB which are coming fitted in new cars these days... (Digital Radio)

Cheers

RickT

·
Registered
3 Posts
that is a very clean install, i just got onbe for xmas and installed it recently. its just a plain old stick to the windshield set up. i tried to hook it up to the vent but it kept tilting down

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is my Sirius install,

I bought the bracket off eBay for $27.99 + p&p which is expensive but IMO worth it as its specifically designed for the 2003 A4 so its a perfectfit! All you have to do is remove the HU and unbolt a bolt, put the bracket in place then bolt back on and put the HU back in.

The hardest part was removing the HU as i had removed it before and the Key's got stuck and so i had to wrangle them out which messed them up a bit so when i used hem this time around they weren't as effective! I swear i was pulling so hard i thought it was going to cut my finger off! Then i had the bright idea of putting a cloth in the key hole for the pulls so it wouldn't hurt, so much!

I'm going to eventually hide the GPS antenna under the dash by removing the glove box. I did this on my MK4 Golf GTI for the Sat Nav.

DOWN side to my sirius install! I was listening to it on the way home the other day instead of having my Radar detector plugged in and surprise surprise i got pulled by a sneaky taffic cop on a motorbike for doing 68 in a 55! I handed him my UK license (i live in SC, USA now) and he looked a bit puzzled and asked me if it was valid. In the end he didn't give me a speeding ticket but a lesser ticket of Careless Driving and i have to go to court! It could have been worse, so i'm fairly happy.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts