Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm new to the forum, i bought a 2004 A2 1.4 TDI SE Colour storm last year from an Audi main dealer, as i'm commuting 100 miles a day i needed a very economical vehicle. I return about 57mpg and i don't drive particularly slowly, anyway my gripe as such is that after about 2 months of motoring my car developed a knocking noise from under the bonnet, this noise only occured as i pulled away.....
I returned the car to the dealer and told him of my plight and as it was under warranty they did some fault diagnosis and said that the Exhaust gas recirculation valve had worn out, they promptly replaced the offending item. However, everytihng was fine for a couple of months and the noise started again so i went through the procedure again and had another valve fitted....since then i've had a total of 3 valves fitted within the year.
The car was due its first service last month and the noise was still present so i asked the dealer to replace the valve again to which they agreed...........when i picked the car up i asked if the valve had been replaced to which they informed me that they had not as it would be a waste of time but they did say they had lubricated it and the noise had dissappeared, to which i accepted.
About 3 days later the noise was back so i contacted the dealer yet again they were reluctant to replce the valve again which i understood, so i contacted Audi UK and informed them of the story to which thee reply was that they would contact Audi Technical and see what can be done...
A few days passed so i phoned them back to seee if they had found out any information to which they replied was that the FAULT on my car has suddenly turned to a CHARACTERISTIC and there was nothing that could be done.
Last week i was contacted by the dealer who told me that Audi technical had been in touch with then and there was a potential solution, which was to mount the valve on some rubber bushes and this would reduce the amount of noise being tranmitted through the chassis.
The work has now been completed on my car i still have a knocking noise as does a friend of mine who own's an A2.
This may sound that i'm totally against Audi and A2's nothing could further from the truth it's a truly wonderful car it has never let me down and is fun to drive and cheap to run what more could you want (No knocking noises).......I just turn the stereo up and all is fine :devil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I completely share your frustration with your issue as I to have experienced the same with my A2 1.4 TDi. I bought my A2 privately and just out of warranty, having test driven the car all seemed fine but soon after I purchased I realized something was not quite right. To cut a very long story short, the Audi dealer had great trouble trying to stop the knocking noise, replacing EGR value and some other component so try to resolve the issue. After tooing and furrowing (and a nice TT as a curtsey car for 4 days!) they concluded that they had reduced the noise but not fixed it. I was obviously super fed up and bewildered by Audi's inability to fix it. Anyhow, having finally dropped the car off to me at work on the last open day before Christmas I proceeded on a long Christmas journey to my parents place, approx 180 miles. (my daily commute is 60 miles both ways) as I began my journey the noise was present, but bizarrely by the time my journey ended the noise had disappeared!! Not sure when it happened but it did and it has never returned!! And I jolly hope it never does!! this was 7 months ago now and approx 8k miles later.

Now I'm not sure how this case helps you, maybe you have managed to fix your problem?? Let me know if you have any questions regarding this issue. I will do my best to help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
exhaust recirculation valve? they mean the turbo? theyre just tryin to sound technical. so the tubro is basically not secure and its knocking against something else in the engine. probably just needs some cushioning. or washers within the bolts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No kitten, they do mean a recirculation valve. Part of the emissions equipment on the car, and nothing at all to do with the turbo. The EGR is mounted directly to the bulkhead, and with the A2 being so small, and the bulkhead aluminium, the noise goes straight into the cabin. It is very annoying noise and gives me a headache driving the car around town.

A "fix" can be applied by clamping the vacuum hose that connects the EGR valve, rendering it ineffective (not sure if that would harm the engine, more likely just the environment). Alternatively the noise can be reduced by rubber mounting the valve, allegedly, but people have tried this with little effect. Ideally it needs to be relocated off the bulkhead so the clunk is not trnsmitted to the cabin at all.

The noise does seem to come and go on some cars (it does on mine), and often goes away when the car goes on long trips. It will return though!

Also it appears that some wiring to a temp sender can fail due to a design fault, and when this happens the EGR will activate constantly as soon as you depress the accelerator. I'm pretty sure mine is in this state now, and I am trying to get more details on the wiring fault.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Audi UK stating CHARACTERISTIC of the car.... just a cop out if you ask me...no other words we cant solve it so we will past the book..

I do know if you keep contacting AUDI UK by phone ie.. every other day and demand it sorted if still under warrenty they will give in...

if it was a problem with the design surely every A2 owner with the same engine will have the issue?? that way they would have to do a recall to resolve the issue..

Have you managed to get it sorted yet?

keep us posted.

Ricks

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
i had the same except it was in the front of my car front driver side. turned out when they put my stock rims back on, they didnt tighten my lugs and made a knocking noise

·
Registered
5 Posts
My A2 does the same - you can almost feel the knocking as you pull away. That, however, is the least of my problems - will post the big drama on a more appropriate thread!

·
Registered
2 Posts
LynneC said:
My A2 does the same - you can almost feel the knocking as you pull away. That, however, is the least of my problems - will post the big drama on a more appropriate thread!
Hi all,

I to get this knocking but again only when it is cold. It is extreamly annoying because it make you look like your about to stall the car (muppit) however my question to you guys that have had some work done to rectify the issue is how much has it cost you?

Also is this something i can go back to the dealer and state this should be done under warranty?

? Dan ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts