Audi Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
<_<
Was just at the agent's service shop this morning on the way back from a meeting. Seems the parts will arrive from Germany next week (no idea when exactly though) & take about 4 days to reassemble.
:angry:
No news on how much they going to cover yet. The service manager was not around to be harrassed so I just gave the workshop manager a friendly reminder that I still exist. Dont want to be on their @ss non-stop, but dont want them to think I am just sitting on the sideline.
:huh:
Busy writing a formal letter to them re my position. Hoping it will help with Audi Germany.

:D Keeping up the faith!

·
Registered
149 Posts
;)
Well the good news is, the parts arrived on thursday and they pretty much finished installing the new engine by lunch time today. I went around and took a look and arrived just as the mechanic was bolting on the suspension bracket.
The question is how much I will have to pay for this transplant and major surgery! The service manager was out so did not get a chance to have a friendly chat.
<_<
I did take some photos of the offending damage however and it is interesting to look at. As you can see, there is quite extensive heat damage on the exhaust valves and on the respective side of the pistons. There are also scratches on the cylinders which are not really clear in the photos. The old engine had been boxed up ready for shipment back to Germany where it will find a home in some next generation Audi. The mechanic says the damage is too extensive to repair so will probably be melted down as scrap.
:D
I will hopefully get my baby tomorrow evening after they have run it and done a test drive and general checks. Can't wait, its gonna feel amazing after 3 weeks in a Toyota Echo! Will just have to find out about the run in period before I get too enthusiastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Kelvin@Dec 4 2004, 05:07 AM

The question is how much I will have to pay for this transplant and major surgery! The service manager was out so did not get a chance to have a friendly chat.
You authorized repairs with out knowing whos going to pay and how much?!? gotta do what you gotta do i supose :huh:

·
Registered
149 Posts
:mellow:
Oh I know how much the total repair is going to cost, that was given to me, I mentioned it an earlier post (about $5000). The issue is how much Audi is going to cover and what portion will be mine! I wasnt going to delay the proceedings over that, ulitmately there is little choice.
;)
Will find out today. Hold thumbs for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
:p
We might have to strike the "super" part from your moderator title. Our forum heros need to be more on the ball!

·
Registered
149 Posts
:)
Yeah, got my baby back on Monday and had a major row with the Spare Parts manager. I refused to pay for the work until they had shown me that they have gone to some real effort to resolve the issue with Audi. I am sure they are copping out and not going to any real effort. Now they have some added motivation!
<_<
They still maintaining the 70% discount on the major parts only but nothing on new plugs, belts, sparks etc. I maintain that if the engine had not gone, none of that would have to have been replaced.
I did get some repair work done on my account, new clutch plate & flywheel - gears been grating. Is it me or are the gear changes normally pretty stiff? Also had to change the water pump (apparently leaking). I paid for all of that as a show of good faith and told them to stop screwing me around.
I drove out and told them to get the Service Manager to phone me for a meeting to resolve it all. Will see next week what gives.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well good luck... did the rebuild so much of the engine that it needs to go thru the break in period again? :huh:

·
Registered
149 Posts
:unsure:
Good question. I asked about that and they all said it is not necessary. Apparently the engine has been run in on the bench. It is not a rebuild, it is an engine replacement. Complete new head, block, pistons....etc. Only the gearbox is the original.
I am a bit sceptical that I can just race off into the distance without worrying about a run in period. What is your advice? I have been trying to take it easy so far as tempting as it is to want to enjoy having my car back again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A conclusion at last. After two failed attempts at meeting with the Service Manager, Gary at Audi here in Bahrain, I received a phone call giving me some great news. They are not going to charge for the repair. I have been having some sleepless nights over this and even a nightmare last night, where my engine disintergrated from overheating (and for some reason the windscreen wipers fell off - go figure)!
:lol:
So ends the rather convoluted epic of my engine replacement. I am now sitting with a brand new engine, with all new ancillary parts. They even reset the service counter - how thoughtful!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
glad to see everything worked out well. did they mention anything about having to "re-break-in" the engine? :huh:

·
Registered
149 Posts
<_<
Was told not necessary but been taking it easy so far. They tell me that the engine is run in on the bench. Also mentioned nothing about taking it in after the first 1000km for a check up but going to anyway. It is not idling too smoothly at the moment. Seems to be hunting a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts