Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if upgrading my K03 to a K04 is worth it? I am saying this because it's the only turbo that I can upgrade and not have to change my clutch, headers and everything else that goes along with a bigger turbo. I have a K03 with a GIAC chip right now. Would i be able to use the same chip if I simply removed my K03 and bolted on a K04? I'm further hesitant because apparenlty there is a lot more lag on the K04 so is it really worth it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
the k04 is a good turbo, but u need new programmin and injectors to use the full potential of the turbo

·
Registered
195 Posts
With the GIAC chip you should have about 190hp - assuming stock exhaust. If you add an exhaust system you can add another 10hp or so. That will put you in the 200-210hp range.

With the K04 upgrade, and I agree with the suggestions of previous posters, go with the AWE kit, then you will need the exhaust anyway to get 235hp.

So do you think you can feel the 10% increase in hp? And where does the turbo make that extra 25hp? probably on the top end above 4000 rpm.

So unless you want the hp for the track I would stick with what you have and add an exhaust system.

This is just my opinion. Some say forget the small incremental stuff, damn the torpedoes get the Garrett and everything else to stage III+ 330HP monster upgrade for $6000 and blow the doors off most other Audis. But watch out for those sneaky RS2's.

VB

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i dont like the APR stage 3+ to expensive for such low numbers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm the awe tuning setup sounds pretty tempting and ya I don't feel like changing everything in my car so that I can support a stage 3+ APR setup. Thanks a lot for the help! 247hp and 295torque would be good enough for me right now! Just maybe regretting getting a carsound high flow cat and remus muffler and making a custom exhaust because the borla one offered by AWE looks pretty good and not too expensive. Did I make a bad choice by letting my local mechanic make me a custom exhauts with my parts using his own bender? (Also 2.25 inch btw)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i dont think u did a bad thing with a custom set up
an exhuast system is an exhuast sytem as long as urs is a cat back like AWE's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts