Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1999 A4 quattro with the 1.8t engine in it. Found this site while doing some research and wanted to learn more about these cars. I'm also looking at a 2000 VW jetta with the TDI engine. Can't make up my mind. I'm putting together a list of pros and cons. I drive ALOT, so based solely on MPG, the Jetta is ahead, but I'm looking to get something that has potential for performance, too.
Both cars are the same price(6995) with about the same mileage (around 85000 US miles) so it really comes down to wether or not I can get alot of performance from the jetta or if I just want to go with the A4( and sacrifice the MPG) for the performance possibilities of 1.8t.

I hope this actually sounds OK. I'm a bit drained from work.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
both cars have the potential to be modded for performance. the jetta TDI (TURBO direct injection) does have a turbo as well, so there is the potential for upgrades. in the end, the 1.8t could be made much faster than the TDI, but if you're considering gas mileage as well the TDI might not be a bad idea. I have a VR6 jetta and i've been wishing for awhile that TDIs were legal in california. i've been driving the jetta more than my allroad just because of gas prices in SoCal.. and to keep the miles off of the allroad which is a lease. anyway... you shouldn’t get either car in auto... good luck :57:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. BOTH of these cars happen to be automatic :( . I want a standard but can't seem to find one in my price range/area. I've been going back and forth between the TDI , 1.8t and the 4g63 turbo engine in the mitsu/eagle/evo cars. Every time I think I've settled on the one I want, BAM, an awesome deal on one of the other ones comes up. Then it's back to which one do I REALLY want. By the time I decide, the deal is gone and I'm left with nothing. Ohh well, I'm spending a lot of time doing the research first, trying to find out what to look for when I test drive and what to expect as far as maintenance/known problems with each manufacturer.

Thanks,

Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts