Audi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know any good kits for connecting ipods to factory sat nav unit. I no longer use the CD changet as it is broke. Only ones i have seen are Dension!! Are these any good? PS not looking for a FM transmitter as i want to controle the ipod from the head unit.
Thanks all!!!!!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've fitted Dension and Audi interfaces, they are prety much the same but the audi ones lock the Ipod, the Dension allows control of the Ipoid when CD 6 is selected. Sound quality is excellent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
whiteheadted said:
Does anybody know any good kits for connecting ipods to factory sat nav unit. I no longer use the CD changet as it is broke. Only ones i have seen are Dension!! Are these any good? PS not looking for a FM transmitter as i want to controle the ipod from the head unit.
Thanks all!!!!!!!
Check out this one: "http://www.connects2auto.com/6.html"

·
Registered
2 Posts
A3 iPod Connection installed

Just got my new 2007 A3 this week, and was eager to get the iPod connection executed. (I have the standard streo - Symphony single disk unit - no sat or 6 disc changer). I went with the Audi device. Installation was a bit quirky - the cryptic instructions took a bit to decode, and the wiring is tricky, requiring you to basically re-wire the connection harness, but once all was figured out, it went quickly. Definitely make sure to get the radio removal tools (about $5) - I don't know how I would have gotten the radio out otherwise. The Audi solution locks out being able to control the iPod directly - it is playlist driven. The first 6 playlists are what ends up at your disposal, so you have to name your playlists so they show up alphabetically at the top of your playlist selections. I am playing around with smart playlists so that i can have the broadest array of stuff at my disposal once in the car. Steering wheel controls work fine to scroll thru songs...... from head unit, you choose "+" or "-" to advance up or down playlists.
My dealer was not even aware this device was yet available from Audi and told me it would be coming "in several months"...... a call to Audi US HQ informed me otherwise, and I found the unit at another dealer. I assume this is not the least expensive solution at $190 after tax. Overall, not the most ideal set-up, but at least I have iPod connected now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
skr9 said:
Just got my new 2007 A3 this week, and was eager to get the iPod connection executed. (I have the standard streo - Symphony single disk unit - no sat or 6 disc changer). I went with the Audi device. Installation was a bit quirky - the cryptic instructions took a bit to decode, and the wiring is tricky, requiring you to basically re-wire the connection harness, but once all was figured out, it went quickly. Definitely make sure to get the radio removal tools (about $5) - I don't know how I would have gotten the radio out otherwise. The Audi solution locks out being able to control the iPod directly - it is playlist driven. The first 6 playlists are what ends up at your disposal, so you have to name your playlists so they show up alphabetically at the top of your playlist selections. I am playing around with smart playlists so that i can have the broadest array of stuff at my disposal once in the car. Steering wheel controls work fine to scroll thru songs...... from head unit, you choose "+" or "-" to advance up or down playlists.
My dealer was not even aware this device was yet available from Audi and told me it would be coming "in several months"...... a call to Audi US HQ informed me otherwise, and I found the unit at another dealer. I assume this is not the least expensive solution at $190 after tax. Overall, not the most ideal set-up, but at least I have iPod connected now.
So how long did it take you to install? My dealer wanted $170 for the kit and another $280 to install it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It took me about an hour to actually decipher what to do........once I figured wiring out, it probably took another hour to do the actual install. The tricky part is finding something small enough to pop out 3 wires in the existing harness (assuming you do not have the specialized tool). You need to replace 3 wires in the exisiting wiring set-up, and the remaining wires for the iPod connection go to empty slots in the existing harness. I used 2 very small sewing needles to hold down the tiny tabs on either side of the wire ends to then pull the wire out of the harness. Make certain you have the harness oriented the proper way when looking at the diagrams to insert the new wires - you'll be totally aggrivated if you have to go back and re-do your work!
I also want to stress that you have the proper removal tools to pull out the head unit......they cost about $5, and will save you the possibility of damaging your otherwise beautiful dash. I meant to take photos, but it was getting dark!
Lastly, just want to reiterate that this solution is playlist driven - you cannot use the iPod controls when connected. It's a lame solution, but as an insurance professional, I can also somewhat convince myself it is a wise solution, as you do not end up fumbling with your iPod when you are supposed to be paying attention to driving. The stereo looks for the first 5 playlists and displays them as CD01, CD02, and so on..... (CD06 is "all contents" of iPod). So, I have created 5 smart playlists, and named them "A Playlist 1", "A Playlist 2", and so on, so they appear tops in the listing of playlists. (I then make smart playlists of recent podcasts, most recently purchased music, most top rated songs, etc....)

Hope the info helps - more than happy to share any other info if you have questions.

-Stephen
Boston MA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ipod Usb

This is my first post, so apology's if it's in the wrong place. I have just picked up an A4 with the ipod interface that I ordered. It has a USB in the glove box, but when I connect my ipod, it says do not disconnect and the rns-e does not show anything anywhere! Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
whiteheadted said:
Thanks all!!!!!!!
I know another brand, "xcarlink".
Not FM transmitter,
I have used it. It's good. its website is,
xcarlink,ipod adapter,car mp3,iphone adapter,iphone, iphone interface,cd changer
I think it is what you want!!! ,

·
Registered
2 Posts
whiteheadted said:
Thanks all!!!!!!!
I know another brand, "xcarlink", dont worry! not FM transmitter.
U can Br their website
xcarlink,ipod adapter,car mp3,iphone adapter,iphone, iphone interface,cd changer
I think this what u look for!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts