Audi Forums banner

Invisible Bra

15K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Clear Bra Man 
#1 ·
is it worth 675 to have a dealer put it on,or is it easy to install,or will it ruin the paint?

#3 ·
Picked up the car today,stiff yet comfortable, plenty of power but too many "avionics". They should make new owners get "checked out" before takin it off the lot. I'l probably be drivin around with rear fogs on, seats on high , AC on, etc. , for weeks. Oh, got the plastic anyway. After looking at the hood of the car i traded in, i thought it be best. Too much sand up here.

#5 ·
Audi is now offering at the time of purchase the application of a 3M, 14 mils film on the front and rear bumpers, side sills, and lamp lenses. This film is intended to prevent scuffs, pitting, and other damage to painted surfaces. In NYC, where I live, bumper dings are a common occurance. However, I couldn't justify spending the US$500 for the 3M film.

#6 ·
This is a dealer install. option. It's not supposed to damage painted surfaces. This 3M tape is also called helicopter tape, since it is used to protect the leading edges of rotor blades--or so it was explained to me. If you are leasing your car and live in an area where damage to painted bumpers, etc. is likely, it could be worth the investment. It's hard to tell that the tape has been applied, unless you are up close to the car.

#7 ·
I've had it install on my TT ALMS for $500, and got it on my 2006 S4 for $500 also...dealer said $500 was cost, but I know it was much less. Regardless, you can't tell unless your right up looking at it. After 36,000+ miles on the TT. the front end looks like day 1..it can also be taken off easy fwiw

#11 ·
AsianM3ny said:
I swear by this 3M film. It has to be sreatched onto the car, and is alot of work. Most os the dealers that do it leave marks on the film!. At $500 it's a bargain. I paid $1500 for my M3!
I paid $900, that included the hood, mirrors, quarter panels and bumper - up to 18" deep. It was done at a local accessory shop - they also tinted all 5 windows for free. They did it in january in NY - so they had to redo it at least once cause it bubbled when it was drying. after that though - sharp as a whistle.

The shop i took it to - is the same shop the dealer takes it to... so the sales man said i'm better off going there myself...

#12 ·
mjesales said:
I paid $900, that included the hood, mirrors, quarter panels and bumper - up to 18" deep. It was done at a local accessory shop - they also tinted all 5 windows for free. They did it in january in NY - so they had to redo it at least once cause it bubbled when it was drying. after that though - sharp as a whistle.

The shop i took it to - is the same shop the dealer takes it to... so the sales man said i'm better off going there myself...
Was there any sreatch marks? And can you please tell me where you had it done, because the RS4 will need this too! Thanks

#13 ·
AsianM3ny said:
Was there any sreatch marks? And can you please tell me where you had it done, because the RS4 will need this too! Thanks
Nope no scratch marks - and from more than 6 or so feet away - you can't tell its there... the shop i had do it is probably the BEST tint shop in town...

The Tint Shop, Rochester, NY
Tint Shop

www.tintshop.com2705 W Henrietta Rd
Rochester, NY 14623
(585) 232-8468

I don't know how far you are from Rochester, NY - so maybe you will need to find a shop closer to you. But these guys were awesome. Some parts of it bubbled and they just put it on again till it was perfect.

#14 ·
mjesales said:
Nope no scratch marks - and from more than 6 or so feet away - you can't tell its there... the shop i had do it is probably the BEST tint shop in town...

The Tint Shop, Rochester, NY
[URL="http://www.google.com/mapdata?Point=b&Point.latitude_e6=43097743&Point.longitude_e6=4217335677&Point.iconid=15&Point=e&latitude_e6=43097743&longitude_e6=4217335677&zm=4800&w=304&h=156&cc=US&min_priority=1"]http://www.google.com/mapdata?Point=b&Point.latitude_e6=43097743&Point.longitude_e6=4217335677&Point.iconid=15&Point=e&latitude_e6=43097743&longitude_e6=4217335677&zm=4800&w=304&h=156&cc=US&min_priority=1[/URL]Tint Shop

www.tintshop.com2705 W Henrietta Rd
Rochester, NY 14623
(585) 232-8468

I don't know how far you are from Rochester, NY - so maybe you will need to find a shop closer to you. But these guys were awesome. Some parts of it bubbled and they just put it on again till it was perfect.
Thanks I'll definately look into it! And that was including tint dame that was a great deal!!!

#16 ·
I figured I'd chime in just to set the record straight on a few things. I've been installing clear bras for 4 years. On price, you typically get what you pay for. It's like a paint job, you're paying for the quality of work that person is putting out. If you want a cheap job, you'll usually get a Maaco quality install. Be VERY careful who you choose to install your kit. If someone has to keep replacing it, they aren't experienced. I've seen two Porsches just in the past few months that have actually been cut up by shops!
Film choice is also important, make sure you're getting a top coated film. A non-top coat WILL turn yellow especially in harsh climates. I'm not going to get into a pissing match over which film is better.
Patterns very from company to company. Personally, I deal with 3 companies and am looking at taking on a 4th. There is no best company, but Xpel and Proform are consistantly better fitting above the rest.

Fell free to ask me any questions you have.

mjsales- Sorry to hear about your tint shop install. I see they have a common problem of having to keep replacing kits to get the job right. They're a TINT shop. I've done at least 5 cars this year correcting their mistakes. I had a Porsche I did and one they did right next to each other and the Porsche looked horrible, not only did it have flaws throughout and was missing pieces, they even cut the guys mirrors up! Stop by and talk to Paul about it next time you're in for service and ask him about it. I'd also be happy to check out your car and replace any pieces that have flaw flaws. Just let me know when you'll be in for service, I'm there a couple days a week. I have an extra 05.5 A4 kit that I'll reinstall for you if need be. Check out the Miata in the showroom to see my work....there's a reason I now have an account there and they don't. BTW, would you mind if I ask some questions about your car? My dad is looking at an A4 which is why I popped in here. Shoot me a PM or I'll shoot you one later on. Thanks!

#19 ·
For those with bras already installed, here is a cut and paste from my care card I hand out-

Care and Maintenance:

l. Dust and wax the film regularly to prevent dirt build up around the edges and to maintain its glossy finish.
2. Use a liquid-based car wash soap, extra-soft sponge, and water to wash your SpeedShieldPaint Protection Film.
3. When using a high-pressure water hose to wash, keep at least 36" away from your film’s edges and surface.
4. Wipe down with a clean and dust-free chamois and apply Plexus plastic protectant and with wipe dry with a micro-fiber drying towel.
5. Use a small toothpick or detailing to softly remove any wax build-up around the edges.
6. Bird droppings and bug splats should be removed as quickly as possible by flushing the area with water. Some bugs may leave stains that normally bleach out in the sun after a few weeks.
Do not do the following:

l.Do not use a powder-based detergent or degreaser to clean your film.
2.Do not use any abrasive scrubbers and/or sponges. Do not rub excessively or use excessive force when cleaningor dry ing.
3.Do not use any abrasive or hard-compound waxes and/or polishes.
4. Do not use any clay products to clean the surface of yourfilm.
5.Do not use a high-speed power buffer or polishing equipment.
6.Do not pick the Paint Protection Film’s edges. Once the material is lifted it will not lay back down properly without damage.
7.Do not use a high-pressure hose closer than 36" from the Paint Protection Film surface.

Some side notes-

The whole reason for the Plexus is so you don't get white line build up around your edges. The Plexus acts as a polish/wax and protect the film but will not leave you with a build up. There are other spray polishes that are just as good (Protect-All comes to mind) but Plexus is more available, usually at Motorcycle dealerships. I'm not saying you can't wax, but the Plexus can prevent a lot of headaches.

For bugs, I use Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner diluted 10:1. (Disclosure- I do sell Meguiar's products) I'm sure other all purpose cleaners diluted properly will also work.

#20 ·
Hi Guys,

one of our members in the B6 section thinks he may have this film on this car and it appears to have pitted over time

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/41655-paintwork-concerns.html

He would like "attempt" to remove this..

Any ideas or best couse of action if you wanted to remove this...

I have asked SDJ1704 to post in here asking as i dont have any experiance with this film..

Thanks to all in advance!!

Cheers

RickT

#21 ·
RickT said:
Hi Guys,

one of our members in the B6 section thinks he may have this film on this car and it appears to have pitted over time

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/41655-paintwork-concerns.html

He would like "attempt" to remove this..

Any ideas or best couse of action if you wanted to remove this...

I have asked SDJ1704 to post in here asking as i dont have any experiance with this film..

Thanks to all in advance!!

Cheers

RickT
If it does has this plastic film on the front - then he would want to have it professionally removed. At least - thats what the guys who installed it told me.... I think its a similar process to removing window tint (and i've done that with friends before - but i won't do it again...) - I would advise just checking with a local accessory shop - or the dealership.

If the problem he has is not the film - then thats another story....

#22 ·
The film is easy to remove. Just use a heat gun to warm the film and remember to pull the film away from the direction it's being removed. A little adhesive remover and a soft plastic squeegee will take care of any adhesive left over. I've seen shops charge upwards of $100 to remove film, it's something you can do with a $10 bottle of adhesive remover.

#23 ·
Speedshield said:
The film is easy to remove. Just use a heat gun to warm the film and remember to pull the film away from the direction it's being removed. A little adhesive remover and a soft plastic squeegee will take care of any adhesive left over. I've seen shops charge upwards of $100 to remove film, it's something you can do with a $10 bottle of adhesive remover.
Thats good to know!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.