Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just sold my Mr-2 that i had for about 4 years and have been looking for a replacement for some time now. I decided the way to go right now in my life is a AWD car that i can enjoy. The reason i am posting is to find your opinions about the 1996-1998 Audi A4 2.8L. I was hoping to get some insight on this car since i have been doing alot of reading about the car and i see that the consumer reports gave it a bad rating. Not like Consumer reports gave the Mr2 a good rating but i am looking for a more reliable car hence why i am going non-turbo.

Please if anyone can give me common problems with that year range Audi and any help would be appreciated. I am looking to purchase an Audi with approx 68-80k, of course depending on your opinions.

Thank you,
Daniel

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
hi Daniel, i am actually just puuting my 1998 audi a4 2.8l quattro on sale. the car was origonally bought in june 2005 for 10,000 with the taxes and wat not and it had about 90.000mi. the car needed two control arms in the front wich were fixed a week after purchase. last week i replaced the timing belt and water pump. the car is in great condition and is well taking care of.i spent around 3,00 just fixing the car. i am looking to get around 12,000 o/b/o. i am looking to buy an s4 or an sti.so if ur interested i left a post. or u can just e-mail me @ [email protected]
well i hope to talk to u soon. oh yea the car has 95,000mi. and has a k&n short ram intake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually looking for more of a response on how this generation Audi is than for a car to buy. I appreciate the post though, good luck on your sale.

My main concern is with what are the common problems etc..
Thank you

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
hi, most common problems with the a4 is the control arms, timing belt, water pump, abs control module,or the hydraulic unit that is part of the abs control module, and some smalle electronic devices. the car has some minor defects, but it's a blast to drive. i love my a4 but i'm 17 and it's hard to keep up with my cars maintnence since it's an audi. but still i'm might not even sell my car because it's awesome! if u have any quaestions feel free to ask!

elmandoh

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Daniel,

The 2.8 V6 motor is not as desirable as the 1.8T if you are looking to up the HP. Almost no mods for the V6 and tons for the turbo 1.8.

Timing belts on the 1.8 are not a problem, other than they need to be replaced sooner than the 105,000 mile interval initially specified by Audi. Look to do it no later than 70,000 - so factor that into purchasing price. About $700 to replace. And while you're in there doing the belt, might as well do the water pump. So again not an issue if replaced often.

I love the A4 avant quattro even though in stock 150HP (1999) trim it is a bit slow. The V6 was 190HP but was a bit heavier (I think about 200 lbs - which negates about 15HP). Neither car is fast on the drags, but a dream to drive in all weather on any curvy road.

Good luck,
VB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had my fun with turbo cars, i did alot of work to my Mr2 over the years. Right now i am looking for the 2.8L ...don't care for the power i think 172hp should be enough to satisfy me at least 2 years.

When do these problems with the A4 usually come up?
Also how much is maintenance on these cars approx? I am looking to pick one up with 70-90k on the odometer. I am also only going to purchase the car if its had its timing belt/water pump/oil pump replaced recently. This will assure me that the guy has kept up with maintenance somewhat.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found this and was asking him questions about the timing belt, water pump, and oil pump
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/car/112882173.html

He told me:

All regular maintenance, oil changes, brake fluid flushes, spark plug replacements, etc. have been duly done. There is no need to replace the water or oil pumps, these are good for the life of the car, I have checked this with the manufacturer. The timing belt has not been replaced. That should have been done sometime in the last year (I have put 20,000 miles on the car in the last 12 months). I simply haven't had time.

There are no problems with axles or suspension or anything else.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
hey, well that isn't an excuse. he should have the timing belt done so he doesn't blow his head, maintnence wise, the car is pricy but its worth it. I'll be going to college soon so i'm gonna need a new car. thats y i'm selling my 2.8. if i was driving for about 8hrs. i would keep my audi but i'm just going to buy some brand new. timing belt, water pump and c.v. joints are the main problems with those model yrs. but other then that its awseome and a blast to drive!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea thats what i thought..i found another car w/ 84k on it and they don't have any records of timing belt being done..i can't believe it

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
well if he was selling the car for about 6000 wich i highly dought, you'll be spendind around 900 just for the water pump and timing belt
it's your call
i got all my parts done and i'm selling for 12-13.5

1 - 10 of 10 Posts