Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all....just installed a DV with the same intentions just as anoyone else would who wants one. Its an evolution....i now know that you're not supposed to hear a difference in sound with a DV, however, my buddy with a vdub told me by installing an intake, it will make a sound (both the intake and DV)....however, he said only an "open element intake" will make that happen....can someone explain the difference in open and closed element intakes for me? and whats the best intake to put in the 1.8T's on a 2001 A4?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
u kno intakes for our cars actully rob u of power
they suck in hot engine bay air
our stock units are effient already

·
Registered
195 Posts
You might want to check the carbonio web site. They offer what looks like a stock type air box but made of carbon fiber and with a special heat shielding material and they claim it will add several horsepower and a bunch of other stuff. I don't know anyone who has bought one and they are a bit expensive. $379

www.carbonio.com -- click on the right, then follow links to Audi.

I agree with allwheelgrip, any intake that uses a cone type filter just sitting in the engine bay will likey suck in hotter air and rob you of power. Thanks allwheel for reminding everyone that we need to use some common sense in what we do.

VB

·
Registered
470 Posts
Best way for more power is to change the filter element in the standard filter box. But it is true that a cone filter will make a seperate noise to the dv. It will suck in air when you accelerate and let it out when you let go of the gas.
I went with K&N good value for money and it makes an awesome noise an you get everything you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow! thanks for all the info!!! i think i'll just change the stock filter to K&N!! however, ive tried changing my filter before, on my own..and could not get to the bottom of the headshield on the right side of the box to take out the screws holding it in. can anyone send me instructions on how to properly remove the airbox to change the filter?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have never been fond of the K&N "oiled" filter. It requires more maintenance than the stock filter, is likely to be under or over oiled, and as I have said in many forums - if the Audi engineers thought it would be a better option, they would have done it.

And, if flowing a bit more air (and probably the additional dirt with an aftermarket filter) would improve the mpg and hp, then why wouldn't the Audi folks have done that unless there is a trade-off somewhere that they didn't want to make.

Just my opinion.

VB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so then are there any suggestions as to what i should replace the stock filter with? or just put in a new, stock filter from audi?
yeah, the carbonio intake is on the expensive side, however, are the benefits worth it?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I sell these intakes in the uk and the feedback is always good an that there worth it. Apart from a BMC Carbon intake that was slated a bit

·
Registered
9 Posts
look into the abd cold air intake. it just came out. it places the filter down in the bumper, but not to close to worry about water ingestion. it runs 299$. if you go in the website, click new products and it is the first product, called the passat b5 or a4 intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts