Audi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HKS short ram air intake currently installed on my car but apparently it is sucking in hot air from the engine bay and possibly making me lose power? Is the extra money worth it or a Carbonio or the new ABD cold air intakes? They are quite pricey and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
the Carbonio is an air box style so it would keep the hot air out but the stock air box was good enough already, thats the problem with aftermarket intakes they say they are CAI but they are really just short rams that suck in hot air

·
Registered
195 Posts
This question has been asked before and we never get responses from people who have the Carbonio intakes. I think this is the best unit to replace the stock because it uses the same air intake ducting to insure cold (and dry) air to the engine.

The only cold air intakes that do not suck hot air mount the air filter down or outside the engine compartment where they can pick up water. Since you are in Canada, it may not be a good idea. Some web sites specifically say, may get water in the intake.

To me it's Carbonio or nothing at the present time (I still have the stock unit.) We are anxiously waiting for other responses. Anyone out there?

VB

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually thinking the same thing as you but since I threw away my stock unit I have no choice but to keep sucking in hot air through my short ram HKS intake which sucks although the sucking noise everytime I change gears is not bad since it kinda sounds like a blow-off valve which I cannot put on an Audi anyways... Basically I have to save up like $500 (Canadian) for a Carbonio... quite a hefty price for just 2-3 hp increase!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Any 1.8T owners out there with a Carbonio intake?

How about a post on how you like it?

How was the installation?

And what's you opinion about the thermal barrier claim that Carbonio makes? Is it just a matter of slowing down the heat and after half an hour the heat is tha same as the stock unit?

Thanks to all who respond!

carm23 and we are waiting to hear from you.

VB

·
Registered
9 Posts
ABD has a cold air intake that tucks it just behind the passenger headlamp. they state that there is no problem with water ingestion. if you go to there website it is under the a4 b5/ passat b5 intakes. or in the what's new section. i think it retails for 299. i am thinking about buying this one. the carbonio is a 100 dollars more. anyone bought the abd one? let me know

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've fitted a Simota cone to my A4 and am running cold air induction into the centre of the cone. At idle its obviously sucking only hot air, but at speed it must be getting a fair percentage of cold air. Check out the attached picture. The sound becomes awesome from around 4,500 rpm - sounds like a VR6. Also a definite power increase - will post kW if I get it on the dyno. The car is also decatted with a Powerflow exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Guy's
My best friend has a A4 1.8 Turbo fitted with a Carbonio intake and loves it. It is so true that with a lot of pod type filter's is that they unless fitted with a heat shield, that they draw hot air into the intake(cold air work's best).
I have a 1.8 1997 Turbo quattro and i was going to buy a Carbonio myself but I went with the cheap way and drilled the crap out of my air box . I have notice a real differance in low end performance. But if i had a spare $600.00 I would buy a Carbonio intake in a flash it looks so good on my mates car.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi OziAudi,

How about getting some photos of your mates Carbonio and show us all the insides of it - or at least as much detail as is possible of all the various pieces.

What air filter does it use?

On your air box, did you drill the holes below where the air filter is, or is that the top of the air box?

I agree that the $379 USD ($520 AUS) is a bit steep. You can buy them from APR.

VB

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Volcanoblack
I will get my friend to call over and take some photo's, I drilled the holes inside the box the photo is of the box looking down so if you copy this it works great. Allow's much more air into the motor. Looking at the the picture the front is the right hand side of the photo.I also drilled through the wheel arch plastic's to allow cold air from the wheel arch while driving. I also have a K&N filter. Don't drill the top of the stock intake anywhere, because it will allow hot air in the box and if you drill the whong place you could miss the air filter altogether and allow dust and dirt into the engine. Also when back in the car it look's like you have not touched it. I also did this to my wifes A4 1.8 non turbo and have noticed a big differance in her car's performance and better fuel consuption. The reason I would buy a Carbonio is because I love the look of it. And it work's well of course.
Addam

·
Registered
195 Posts
Addam,

Exactly - thanks for the extra details. I was concerned that we might have some forum members drilling in the wrong places and allow hot or dirty air into the system - which would not be good.

VB

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the Carbonio installed on my B6 A4 1.8T. I've noticed a 'breathing' sound...is this normal? I had read somewhere that it did not make much, if any sound, but I swear I think my car's come alive!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
oh u can deff. hear it sucking in air!! thats normal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts