Audi Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, this site was very helpful and saved me a lot of time with a remote and immobilizer question. After matching the ID number, I bought a remote from eBay for my 2001 A6 since I only have one remote/key. While programming the remote was fairly easy given the instructions on this site, what I didn't expect was the difficulty in getting a key blank cut. After being told that the Audi dealership here would need the title and proof of identification plus they would need 3-5 days to send it off site (I reminded them again that I only have one key and yet they still didn't see a problem--um, how will I drive the car during this time??), I found out that Audi keys are difficult to cut. I finally found one place locally to cut it, and they cut the key for $25. The key works great.

This leads me to my question which I think I know the answer already. Luckily I discovered from this site that the killing of the engine after 2 seconds of running was probably the immobilizer. After having the dealer try to reprogram the immobilizer to recognize the new key, I learned that the key I bought on eBay does not have the immobilizer built into it. Is there any way around this? I think the answer is no, but thought I'd check.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts