Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a v6 accord then a porsche 944 (still own) but, now I am looking for something a little more comfortable but still sporty. I have decided I want the 1.8l because of gas prices but I cant decide between an auto or 5spd. I have heard that the auto is very problematic. Is that true? I was also considering buying an a4 with a blown engine. Does anyone know what new engine would cost and what kind of price to do the swap? thanks a lot for your input guys and I should be a fellow audi owner soon!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 99.5 A4 avant with 1.8T motor and tiptronic. I think it's great and enjoy driving it. So far I have not had any problems but it does shift sort of slow and a bit quirky. On manual it shifts just fine using the buttons or shifter even at club track events.

For no other reason except fun, I would go with a 5-sp.

You will need to do some tuning mods to get the car to be "sporty" since its acceleration in stock form is rather slow. At the least, you'll need to get it chipped and put on an exhaust. Probably set you back about $1500 for the both of them.

I love mine even without the power - it corners very well, and I can keep up with others at the track if I really keep it revved up. (except those darn straightaways)

VB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts