Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, anybody know anything about ECUs. i have a 1997 A6 2.8 V6 and can not figure out what is going on. i recently had an electrical problem which is now sorted, but in the process of finding the problem i removed and dissconnected the ECU. i have put it all back together and the car starts no problem, but after a short while when the engine is slightly warm it cuts out, when the engine gets warmer it runs but idles at 500 rpm, if i boot the throttle the revs drop off really fast and again it cuts out. strange thing is if i turn the climate control off the revs go to 800 rpm but the rev needle is unstable moving from 400 to 800 revs. was told my ecu was bust but then got told the opposite by another garage as he said the car would not even drive properly, this would make sense as the car drives spot on during normal driving. i am reluctant to buy a new ECU as they are extremely expensive. any help on this would be most appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI THANKS FOR THE INFO, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS A VAG-COM TEST. ITS PROBABLY A DAFT QUESTION. I HAVE NOTICED THAT MY ENGINE TEMP AND OIL TEMP ARE ALSO LOW TAKES FOREVER TO HEAT UP, THINKING THAT COULD BE A THERMOSTAT PROBLEM, WENT TO CHANGE IT BUT CANT LOCATE IT ANY IDEAS!!

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
144 Posts
vag-com is a diagnostic software that offers similar functions to an official VW-Audi garage tester. http://www.ross-tech.com

On my V6 (should be similar on yours, too) the thermostat is located on the front of the engine, below the passenger side cylinder cover. Look for the place where the pipe from the radiator enters the cylinder block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts