Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Just joined this morning. Have a certified pre-owned 2001 A6 2.7T and very happy with it. I call the twin turbos "The Girls" and I find them exceptionally willing!

I've a hydroplaning issue. The car came with Continental ContiTouring 215/55R 16 CH95 tires. New on the front and 1/2 worn on the rear. The rear tread is a good 1/4" but I've hydroplaned on the NJ turnpike twice; once seriously (but I just caught it) and once no big deal.

I would have thought a 1/4" would have still been good. Does anyone have an opinion on whether two new rears will solve this problem?

Many thanks
James

·
Registered
26 Posts
hiya,

Aquaplaining (hydroplaining in US) occurs when the volume of water exceeds the amount the tread on the tyre can handle, It can occur at anytime when driving, usually at higher speeds, over 40 miles per hour but is most likley to happen when there is standing water on the road.

If its the rear tyres that are aquaplaining I don't think is would be to serious because you will still have control of the car though the front wheels, if its the front thats plaining? then you will have no control what so ever and the rear tyre will do nothink to help you no matter how good or bad they are.

The 2.7T is a great car to be in when the weath is bad, can make one feel like a driving GOD, but when they let go its usely to late for us mortals to catch.

Best thing to do when the weather is bad is hold the girls back a little, befor you hurt them cheers ;)

jgm

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is really sad but......the formula for hydo/aqua planning is roughly 9xsquare root of the tyre pressure!! So for a 36psi tyre= 6x9= 54mph.
Sadly though if the water is deep enough and the tyre tread not deep enough and the tyre v. wide, standby for fun and games!!!
:w00t:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts