Audi Forums banner

Hydraulic Tappets

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JamieLee 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm a new member and after some advice. I'm just in the process of buying an early 2002 225 Roadster. I've had it inspected, and the only item highlighted is a slight rattle on start-up, that can only be heard with the hood (bonnet) up. The engineer reckoned it could be due to the hydraulic tappets draining out of oil when the car is left not running, and the problem went away after about 20 seconds.
The owner has told me that this is in the hand-book as a known characteristic of the TT.

Any comments? Is this a known thing that's nothing to worry about?

Thanks for any feedback!

Kenton.

#2 ·
:)
Hi Kenton, welcome to the Audi-forums.
Its a bit difficult to describe a rattle I know & there can be so many different types that it is hard to say without actually hearing. I have a slightly audible rapid clicking sound when I start up which gradually fades and is inaudible from inside the vehicle. To be honest I dont know what causes it and seems to be normal but is perhaps the same thing. It has never bothered me overtly. Lets see if there is anyone else on the forum that can throw some light on this.

#3 ·
:)

Cheers Kelvin - very interested to hear if anyone else has some experience/knowledge of this. It's reassuring to hear someone else has a similar noise anyway! I have heard of hydraulic tappets draining of oil, and then making a rattle or "clicking" on cold start-up until the oil re-circulates, so it seems plausible, but it's not something I know that much about!

Kenton.

#4 ·
Jumped on the forum today to try and figure out this very problem. Saturday I installed a K&N Filter (just the filter not the CAI) and upon start up heard the "clicking/tapping" noise for the first time. I have only had the car for a few weeks now, so any noise gets my attention. The clicking did go away after about 20 to 30 seconds. I had not thought about the tappets, as stated above it does make sense. Glad to hear that I am not the only one, and that this sounds like normal TT function. I will keep my eyes and ears open and if anything changes, I will post it.

#5 ·
This is actually the exact problem I'm having with my tt, but it happens right when i shut off the engine. Turning it on sounds fine, but when i turn it off, there is a rattling shaking noise, everytime. I don't know what it is, but i'm worried it will cause me future problems. Other than that, the car is great!

Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.