Audi Forums banner

Hows This S4 Priced ? High Mileage S4 Safe?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Charlies rag-top 
#1 ·
119k miles 6 speed silver exterior black with silver sued interior just had tbelt water pump all new belts tstat pulleys and battery done. auto dimming mirrors power seats xenon lights driving lights ski bag non smoker car no rips or tears on the interior and exterior is like mint i guess. the car is like 134 miles away from me. so waiting on high res pics from the guy..

is a high mileage S4 a bad idea to buy ? ive only got around $10k to spend this ones 12.5. but i need something reliable. and not something im going to have to rebuild in 10k miles.

its either this or a 70-90k mileage B5 A4 1.8t but im sure id like the S4 alot more.

also is insurance on S4s alot more then an a4 1.8t?

#3 ·
It's true what allwheelgrip sez, but you just have to look at Audi's history when it comes to high mileage reliability. I have 210,000 miles on my A4 and it hasnt missed a beat! But it's a personal preference really. Just think that your potential buy will probably still be good for another 100,000 miles. Its just bedding in!!

#4 ·
yeah this is my first audi purchase...
i called on insurance 6 months for an a4 1.8t quattro $770 and for an S4 $1200

so i gotta justify that in to i guess.. the car will be paid for when i get it though.. but gotta think if i want to pay $200 a month for insurance or almost $130.. i can afford it but i am moving out soon so just gotta think about that to.

think i might start out with an a4

#6 ·
I put a lot of miles on my B5 S4, about 80k mostly highway miles, and repairs started getting expensive. I got hit with a secondary water pump and alternator problem which cost a lot to to fix. I had the work done at New Country Audi in Greenwich, CT (not the least expensive place to go for repairs). Also, I've had wheel bearings go bad. Those can run $500-700 to have repaired. When I traded it in towards my current ride, the tie-rods and ends needed to be replaced.

I think i paid $120/month for insurance, but I was 27 when I first got it in '01.

I loved my B5 S4 and thought it was good for at least 200k miles

I hope she is happy wherever she it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.