Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 audi a4 a couple days ago. I love how it drives but yesterday as i was driving the power started going out as i accelerated and after doing this a few times luckily it died in a turn lane into a parking lot. I pushed it all the way into a spot and called triple A to jump the car and test the charging system. He said the alternator had a very low voltage (11 something it should be around 14). He charged it for a few minutes and i realized it got up to 12.7 i believe. Anyway because we thought the alternator was the problem i had it towed to a shop that they use
Long story short they diagnosed it today and they told me that it was a corroded battery cable and one of the terminals on the battery. The quote for this was 700 or so for the cable and with labor it came out to like 1750 dollars... Now after some thinking and doing some research i feel like they are royally ripping me off. Considering you can get a OEM positive battery harness for about 300 give or take and a negative for 70 or so this seems outrageous. 5 hours of labor? Can anyone give me some tips on what i should do here. The previous owner told me to go get a matching one at autozone for $10-30(im assuming he meant the gauge of the wire) and figure it out myself. How difficult of a replacement is this exactly, and how is it done? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing the battery cable is quite a bit of work. From the battery, along the airbox and over to the block behind the exhaust manifold, around the back of the block and up to the alternator. Easier to cut and splice if needed, and replace the corroded end.

Garage
2008 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro 2.0T
2006 BMW X5 3.0

1 - 2 of 2 Posts