Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps noob memeber here. I`ve just bought a `97 Audi A4 1.8, but i was wondering how do i find out which exact model have i got ie SE, T sport etc. is there a way to run a vin plate check etc. Im only asking as the log book was filled in by the garage, and i never got to read it fully. the slip ive got says A4 1.8 nothing more.

Cheers

four4two

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Four4two and welcome to the forum.

The base model is coded in your VIN, positions 4-8 and will tell you model and engine and quattro as well as the base weight and wheelbase.

For my '99 it is:

GB28D = A4 1.8T Avant Quattro, 3263 lbs, 102.6" wheelbase.

For a detailed list of all the options on your car, look at the options sticker located in the front of your maintenance manual (NOT the User Manual), or located usually in the trunk. It is a series of 3-digit codes comprised of letters and numbers together, such as:

6XD
8GL
M98
X9A

Never all numbers or all letters.

If you send me your codes I can look them up in a spreadsheet that I have of all the codes for Audi.

VB

·
Registered
195 Posts
The carfax and analog are okay places to start for figuring out your vin but they don't list everything.

The analog site does not decode the five digit manufacturer code for model information that four4two was asking about. Screenshot attached for my '99 avant.

Carfax does a better job of identifying the model, but misses the manufactering plant, in my case A=Ingolstadt, not that it is very important. Screenshot attached too.

Most of the other links referenced are, at least temporarily, not working. Our friend Legaumais has done a LOT of work posting the codes in the past, both in multiple posts of the 10,000 lines of text and creating images too.

I have the codes in one file that I can search on your option codes and send to you easily. All you have to do is send me your codes listed one code on a line and I will cut and paste into the spreadsheet and email back your options. Just like the offer the other fellow made as listed in one of Legaumais's posts.

Good luck with which ever method you use.

If you send to me, remember the codes are three digits, with both numbers and letters in each code. No code is all letters, and no code is all numbers.

VB

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts