Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah.

I found out what my check engine light was. I had a bad MAF sensor. Basiclly controlls your air filter/turbo/fuel injection. Push come to shove I took it to the dealer, they put a new sensor in..and HOLYCRAP my car came to life.

Keep in mind my car has a chip and an exhaust system.

But tonight I kept up with a Lexus SC300 (Chip/intake/exhaust)...his engine is a 4.0 v8! from a roll and from a dead stop all the way up to 110mph. Sometimes I was even pulling on him.

This TT is amazing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought this car was fast with out the sensor..haha.....:eek: ..shows what I know...

however the guy in the lexus is a good friend of mine so we had several runs together...he actully test drove tt's with me...we test drove a 225tt ....we both agree that my 180 is hands down faster...because of the chip/exhaust....

I really wish I had the name of the chip and exhaust...when i get them i'll post the brands...and type.... I know they cost the previous owner $1699. (parts and labor)

·
Registered
21 Posts
id hope youd beat it! in standard form the lexus sc300 is 7.5 secs 0-60 and it has 225 bhp and weighs 1595kg thats almost 200kg more than yours! to be honest if your car is 5.5 0-60 you should have creamed it. if it was the sc400 then it would have been a bit more even?
also the sc300 is not a v8 its a straight 6 (JZ engne) if its after 97 then it would have vvti. its the sc400 that was the v8 quad cam (UZ engine)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
evosbeataudis said:
id hope youd beat it! in standard form the lexus sc300 is 7.5 secs 0-60 and it has 225 bhp and weighs 1595kg thats almost 200kg more than yours! to be honest if your car is 5.5 0-60 you should have creamed it. if it was the sc400 then it would have been a bit more even?
also the sc300 is not a v8 its a straight 6 (JZ engne) if its after 97 then it would have vvti. its the sc400 that was the v8 quad cam (UZ engine)

i was wrong on the model, it was a sc400 or sc430 i forget

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thats more like it then. cause there pretty quick from what i gather. we dont see many in scotland! lol
the 430 is the 2nd generation 281bhp v8 5.9 0-60 1740kg so that would be quite a race! sounds like fun.
hurry up and get your car looked at so we know what mods have been done and what power its putting out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it was a pretty solid race.

I raced a Lexus IS300, till 40mph we were about even, however come 40+ mph I just started pulling hard. Just walked him.

Im wondering what all mods the previous owner must have done, because to my reading this car stock 0 - 60 is like 7.4 seconds i'm between consistantly 5.5 and 5.9 depending on launch.

My car runs cold according to my temp gauge, im wondering if I have a different intercooler set up. because even when im pounding on my car it doesn't go to the middle of the temp gauge its always below it to the left by about 2 notchs

·
Registered
21 Posts
You could well have an upreated intercooler- however this would make no difference to your engine temperature (especially cooling it).
the purpose of an intercooler is to cool the air that has been compressed through the turbo so a denser cooler charge is induced with petrol into the cylinder. thus making a safer bigger combustion giving more power. through volumetric efficiency it increases charge. colder air occupies less volume and therefore you can get more into each cylinder.
old turbo cars such as the porsche 924 turbo never came with intercoolers and generated masses of heat making them inefficient.
If your doing a 1/4 mile again do one normal run then on your second try spraying nos or co2 (from a fire extinguisher perhaps) onto your inter cooler. this will make it super cold and will actually make a difference on the strip. at leaset for one run. the intercooler is cooled by ambient air forced through the fins (much like a radiator). if you are uprating think about a charge cooler- they are far more efficient and are cooled by water.
no.2 your car sounds like its running perfect temp. if it starts running cold id be worried lol. it should stay between just below half and half.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine stays just below half, ..right now it stays even a little lower...but its also 15 degrees outside :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even in the colds of South Dakota the outside temp would have to be seriously below freezing before you need to start worrying. your engines always going to need cooling rather than heating up. modern cas like the tt are well equiped to maintain a constant even when you give the car gas for long periods you should find there is limited difference in temp rise because at the half way mark the fans should come on for as long as neccesssary and as long as the radiator is in good working condition with coolant it will always cool very effectivley.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts