Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am totally new to this forum. I am thinking of buying a 2003 Audi A4 quattro tdi from a franchised dealer. My only gripe about the car is that it's covered 51k already. I am currently driving a MK4 golf which I owned from 30k and by 50k it needed all sorts of work doing (suspension bushes, engine mount, air mass, etc etc etc)

I know the A4 is a much better car however 51k still seems like a lot of miles. Can anyone comment on how these cars hold up over the higher milages? The last thing I want to do is shell out over 12 grand on a car thats past it's prime.

Any help or comments much appreciated indeed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I cant comment on your car, but i bought a 03 A4 Tdi 130 - it had covered 71k when i bought it and it still drives like new, its go 79k on the clock and the only trouble i am having is a small starting problem, but other than that its fine Audi's run forever if it been well serviced. Just make sure its full Audi S/H.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yea, this one is a tdi 130 as well. Maybe 51k wont be too bad then. They said they will do the cambelt before I take delivery if I do go ahead. My golf has now done 80k and drives realy badly compared to when it was at 30k. Also rattles like mad.

Anyone else had experiences of buying higher milage cars or putting loads of miles onto one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldnt worry about comparing it against your Golf - the golf is a nice car but the Audi is in a different league - have you taken it out?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Yes, I took it for a drive on some A roads. It was much more refined than the golf. I really did like it, smooth, quiet and much more comfortable than the golf with beter handling (It's a quattro)

It was a lease car and has full audi service history. It's been on longlife service schedule so has only had about 3 services so far.

It does look the busines as well!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi
I'm a high milage driver (between 20-25k a year) I've owned my A4 for 7months now and done 13k with one service.
In my opinion they are great I bought it with 61500 miles and it's now 75k and never missed a beat. If I were you take it especially as they are going to do the belt for you (I never thought of that!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This all sounds good, everything I have read on the web points to them being highly durable and reliable cars indeed!

Les, if you dont mind me asking. What sort of MPG do you get from the 2.5 TDI? I bet thats a lovely drive!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a lot of miles Rick. Have you noticed any change in it's drive and handling since putting those miles on it? Or is it still bearing up well?

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
skymaster1 said:
Hi

Yes, I took it for a drive on some A roads. It was much more refined than the golf. I really did like it, smooth, quiet and much more comfortable than the golf with beter handling (It's a quattro)

It was a lease car and has full audi service history. It's been on longlife service schedule so has only had about 3 services so far.

It does look the busines as well!
I bought my 2002 A4 off Ebay and it was ex lease with full Audi s/h with 77k miles on the clock and was happy that i paid £7200 considering it cost £23000 new 3 years earlier...

There good for the mileage as long as there serviced reguarly like Dansk and Les 51 says !!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From all the research I have done it seems these are good strong reliable cars that go on and on! The VERY VERY annoying this is that when I called the dealer to say I would have it they said they sold it the day before (Yes, Friday just gone) They had it in stock since September!

So I am currently on the hunt for another 53 plate TDI 130 with quattro. Now I have driven Quattro I really want it and I know if I buy a 2WD version I will always wish I waited for the quattro.

Pretty much decided on an A4 though, every time I see them on the road I cant help thinking how good they look!

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi mate i've got a 2001 2.5 v6 quattro sport 180bhp , its great, i get 38-52mpg depending on how i drive her, i test drive the 1.9 130 bhp quattro when looking for mine and then my one, go for the 2.5 its alot better, i think the 1.9 i just a little under powered for the 4 wheel drive, hope it helps

sean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blimey! You A4 owners are way more helpful than the golf owners on another forum I used for golf issues. Thanks!

I test drove another today, It's a 130 tdi Quattro on a 53 plate (With the colour coded valances) Saloon in met grey. It has 55k on the clock. It's from a main dealer but not an Audi dealer, another franchise that took it in PX but decided to sell it on rather than sell it to the local Audi garage.

It's up for £11250, 1 owner, FASH, new tyres. They said they will service & cam belt it, warranty it for 12 months and inc breakdown cover. I am gonna negotiate tomorrow. I do have a VAG tech mate + I know an Audi Master tech so could get the service and belt taken care of myself in order to increase my bargaining power!

I do like the idea of a V6 2.5 but I would just worry about MPG with that engine, I would probably end up flooring it all the time and not getting many miles to the gallon. The 130 is slow compared to my golf but it goes well enough to make for a satisfying drive. I also like the low down torque!

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow with the haggling!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Skymaster1 I would have agreed with you on the fuel consumption. I gave mine a bit of a pasting when I first got it, but you soon get used to it and find you cruise a lot more (well I do) I like the low down power of it and I tow boats so it's great for that.
Even if you do floor it all the time you wouldn't see much less then 30-35mpg.
I paid £12500 for mine when I bought it from an Audi (non franchise) dealer, where abouts are you because I was looking at their site the other day and if your interested I'll pm you with their site address they have a lovely arrey of cars on there (funnily!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Am near bristol. Yea, PM me their site. Thanks.

The main reason I can justify spending on a new car is the massive saving I will make on fuel. My Chipped V5 guzzles the stuff, I currently average 25mpg! So it needs to be a TDI that can return 40ish. If I ever felt the need for power I could always get a chip for it,

The only gripe I had with the A4 was the breaks! No where near as good as my golf! The Golf can stop really well, I tested a few emergency stops in the A4 today and it was OK but not great! I guess it's way heavier and is not a sporty engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I changed from a impreza 2000 turbo, again to save on fuel and servicing every 7000k and 25mpg if lucky conpared to every 20k or 2 year which is loads better, i found the change hard as i liked the power, but after test driving the 1.9 and 2.5 found the 2.5 made the change over alot better, still miss my scooby loads but smile when thinking of the fuel bills, i have found the 2.5 does better mpg on motor way than the 1.9 if you look at the stat's on the audi web site, Audi UK > Home just look at a 1.9 and 2.5 before you make the change, good luck mate......

sean

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got my A4 for 10.5K and its done 75K. I intend keeping it for 5years and I do 30K yearly.
One important thing I noticed is that I had to do a lot to the car after I took it for the service such change rear brakes and disc becos they had rusted since they have been standing in the garage for a while, change cambelt (expensive bussiness), serviced climate control (200pound), some rod needed changing apparently this rod prevents the car from rolling over, change water pump. All cost me 2K with a dealer, sadly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts