Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 175,000 mile a4. I've sent an email to the buyer asking the questions of the timing belt, the oil change, the red line and everything like that. Will I be able to turn this into a performance car if I rebuild the engine? How much would a replacement A4 1.8t engine cost for it?

Thanks,

-- Steve

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it's a mistake. The A4 is not a fast car in acceleration. They handle great and I love the quattro, but a fast car it's not.

On top of the rebuild, at least $1500, you need to buy all the go fast goodies - expect to pay anywhere from $1500 (US) for a chip and exhaust to well over $5000 for a turbo etc upgrade.

200HP for the chip (you'll still be slower than a stock S4)
330HP for the APR stage III+ kit. (fast but now you're talking a lot more money)

Personally I would buy something else unless the car is a quattro and you can buy it for like $1000. Even at this low price, with all the other things you will probably want, like wheels and tires and a other problems you will easily be spending $5000 - $6000.

And that is a lot for any car with 175,000 miles regardless of having a fresh motor.

Just my opinion...

And don't get me wrong, I love my Audi A4 and think it's a great car. Just don't go into it thinking it's easy or cheap to make it fast.

VB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts