1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help...

Lately my 98 B5 2.8q has this odd smell almost like burning
rubber or electrical burning!

I live in CT and it does get cold but lately its been warmer than usual and my car still has that smell. It's not constant and doesnt last long.

I've had my car since May and this is the 1st winter for her with me, and it just started recently!

I've searched all posts since last year, about "smells" and found similar references to what I'm dealing with but didn't find the reason for it or the cure!

My car is running perfectly fine with no issues at all...

Can anyone tell me where this is coming from? and How to fix it?
:liebe011:

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
i have the same exact car and yr make as your's and i'm having the same prob. i think it's oil sludge but i might be wrong, the smell usually occurs when i get on the car a little, but i could be wrong!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have a 98 Audi A4 also. Except mine is a 1.8T. But I have noticed a funny smell after I open the door. I think the smell is coming from the brakes. Check your wheels and see if the smell is getting more noticable. If so, I would check out your brakes and see if their is anything that needs to be fixed/replaced/etc.

thanks.
dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the last posting i posted up about the piston coming out of the caliper on the passenger side rear wheel. I smelt the exact same thing, its a funky electrical/rubber smell. Mine was very bad because the brake pad was basically rubbing on the rotor completely while driving.

When this happens to you, immediately stop the car, run out and look at all four rotors, try to see if the smell is coming from any 1 particular wheel. If so, i suggest bringing it a guy you trust or do it yourself. Ive had nothing but headaches with mine so far because I waited to long to get the pads replaced,,,well thats the price i pay!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
i have the same exact yr and model as u and i have a few oil leaks. that's most likely wat it is, so just go get it checked out by a local mechanic. or if u want u can check it yourself,i'll just have to raise the car up a bit so u can get a good look!!!! the leak my be comming out from the tube by the front oil tank. b/c mine is comming out from that tube and from the back axle. hope this helps u out!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You know i have a 99 a4 2.8 and it has that funny smell from what seems like the driver side front wheel well. i thought it might be the brakes as well but it smells like its a little further up. i was thinking it was some sort of belt??? not sure but i could smell it further up in the engine so i cant isolate it on the brakes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts