Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been browsing through here and notice some people talking about compartmentalizin their intakes, but as most of the people on the forum who are modding also have the turbos, i was wondering if it would at all be helpful for the 2.8L v6. i already have a K&N air kit. also, spark plug wires, shoul di only upgrade/replace when its time to replace them?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
theres not much for the NA V6s
u can get an exhaust system and remove the cats but ur not gonna get much

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know that much, i was asking specifically about adding a heat shield for the airfilter, and i've already done the intake exhaust and am researching chips now, even though yes it doesn't add that much power.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, if you are doing a cone filter definitely do the heat shield (not just a small aluminum plate). Make it big enough to form a completely separate area for your intake and make sure you get a good seal all around to keep the hot engine air out. I would also try to route some cold fresh air to the newly formed "box".

If your K&N is inside the normal air intake system, then you don't need to do anything else.

See the pictures in sean1.8T post "new, long put off, pics...(big pics, no 56k)"http://www.audi-forums.com/41256-new-long-put-off-pics-big.html

Nice heat shield!

VB

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is the best way you will get outside air into your cone. Unless you can introduce clean air into the compartment, heat shields wont do much about the 90-100 degree C heat under a V6 hood

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks Sean, I'll look out for one. I see you also getting cool air into your cone centre. You could maybe also replace your flexi hose with an aluminum section - also helps a bit. Your supercharger looks awesome, is that the PES kit? What kW are u pushing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yea that looks quite excellant with the supercharger, i'd been looking for an example of the installed PES one, if thats it. How does that do for hood clearance?

EDIT: just in case how about a link for the CDA cone shields too, if you could be so kind.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome thank you very much. the originally mentioned person doing heat shields do not currently have an application for the 2.8L so i think i might try and go with this approach if i can find it for a decent price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright so since i'm not willing to shell out the big bucks for the carbon fiber surrounding heat sheild, and i can't locate a suitable heat shield, the next step is to create my own. with dealing with the design though i need to understand what makes the stock airbox suck? is it the limited air available to go through the filter? the shape of the filter? the heat element? any information would be greatly helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts