Audi Forums banner

Help with tuning an AUDI A3 1.8 T

18K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  god 
#1 ·
Hello, just signed up here for a few pointers on tuning up my audi A3, now i know i need a remap, induction kit, sports exhaust system, etc.

But i would prefer to know what order i need to do everything and maybe other parts i could buy, from cheap parts to expensive parts, if anyone could have the time to write me a nice list that would be great.

I dont need price listings, just the info and what gaines i could get.

Its an AUDI A3 1.8T 150BHP

Cheers

#2 ·
Help With Tuning

Dave,

I'm new to the Audi forum also. In my years of owning cars, the very first thing I would do is make sure the engine breaths well. If you can, check around and see if you can get a true three angle valve job with a full port and polish. This alone will give you about twenty to twenty five more horse power if not more.

Secondly, I would put in a K&N air filter and get a new 3" exhaust system relocating the cat so you can have an open down pipe installed. Again, this will make your engine breath more. After that is done, see if you can get a larger throttle body. This will increase throttle response. It's amazing even at lower RPM's.

Well, I could go on. I hope this helps.

PS. To make everything work even better, make sure you lower that car alittle. You'll be amazed.

Sleeper35

#3 ·
I would say remap at the very first chance you got!
But for sure to get a good use of the extra HP you will gain, you will need to work on your suspension later on, get a lowering kit and stiffer sport shocks and maybe larger wheels.
Anyway, if you are looking for the best gain in power and the less money to spend, you should get a remap, then try a K&N cold air intake and then work on your exhaust system.
For sure as Sleeper35 said, make sure your car is ready to the tuning, means everything is working fine and your engine is breathing right.
go to superchips.com if you like and see what they got for your car...its worth it

#5 · (Edited)
K & N filters have been known to cause trouble with the MAF on the 1.8 T engine due to the oil they coat there filters with....

I would recommend either a Carbonio induction kit or a BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox if you really want a induction kit, but Audi's stock intake is said to be just as good - Awesome > Carbonio Intake 1.8T + 2.0i

BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox Induction Kit System Ultimate Performance Gain at Discount Prices : Motorspeed.com : Best on Line Prices with Large Stocks and Speedy Delivery. An official stockist for 100+ Alloys, Alpine, Blaupunkt, BMC filters, Carcept, C

Performance wise you be lucky to gain 1 -2 bhp from a induction kit ..

So you then need to get the Remap and change the DV as the OEM Bosch ones tend to break...

All i did was get a power remap and Forge Split R Bov on mine which part recircs and part Blows off and sits me nicely at about 205 -210 bhp from 163 stock and all that cost me was £220 ($350) for the remap and £120 ($190) for the DV all fitted in total ... :)

#9 ·
Had a phone call the other day about my requested re-map, they told me with it bieng a W reg they may have to take the ecu or chip or whateva out and do it manually, i have an obd port underneath the stearing column to my right.

So does this mean a re map is do-able on my car or has every A3 got one of them?

#10 ·
good call on the air filter, audi dont spend loads of money on designing airboxes to give optimum power output for it to be ruined by chavs, you only need an induction kit on high performance engines, id go with a simple panel filter if wou want to change it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.