Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 quattro a4 2.8 with a decent size oil leak in the front. it appears to be coming out of somewhere behind the alternator. i brought it to my mechanic but he cant get in there to see anything since everything is so damn tight. im curious if anyone else has had a similar oil leak and could help me out before i have him tear my engine apart to find this damn leak. any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
it may be a upper oil pan leaking around that area of the alternator. It also maybe a cam seal leaking down the front of the motor and down by the alternator. Your car has essentially two oil pan's a upper and lower and they are split in half. Lower is easy to fix, upper is more indepth. Also, you might have a front cover or cranks seal leaking, but those usually leak down the front of the motor, but the fans make oil blow everywhere, so I would recomend him cleaning off all the oil, and run the car on the lift or take it for a test drive and recheck for leaks. the head gaskets on the old two valves are known for leaking as well. Hope this helps, and good luck
greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts